82 deg to 55 deg, 100' down - not good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first open water dive was in 37 deg water. 7mil farmer john with 4 mil cheapo gloves. Max depth was 32 feet but there was not much variance in temp. 31 min bottom time. Needless to say mask removal and replacement is a new experience when you cant feel your face. I dive a 7 mil neo dry suit most of the time now. Only time I break out the wetsuit is when water temps get above 60.

Ryan,

Your on the right track. Most folks want to talk about the deeds of others. It's refreshing to see you in a state of public self flagelation. and it was a learning experience.

forget some of the off the wall comments some have shot at you.

You are not stupid. You are inexperienced and exercised bad judgement. Enough said. You realize your mistake and are taking the right steps to correct and improve. You did not panic. That says a lot about you, under the circumstances. I know you thought about it but kept yourself under control.

I would not hesitate to dive with you.

In my personal opinion wetsuits loose there usefullness in all but the warmest of waters as you aproch about 60 feet in depth.

I dive dry in anything but warm tropical waters.

- Good for any depth.
- Good for whatever decent rate you want.
- Good for all but the warmest of temperatures.

Ofcourse the water I dive in rarely above 70 at the surface in the hight of summer.

I may still be a bit of a newb diver (since June, though I do have my Rescue Cert) but I'll share my 2 cents.
I don't really understand the need to go deep just to go deep. Myself, I have been down to 100ft twice. Once for my Deep Dive in the advanced course & last night, at 110ft looking for an octpous that was supposed to be at that depth (objective). No luck witht the octo. Yes, both times I got narked. I find I have pretty good control over my actions/judgement, etc when narked, but don't like just playing around with it (though the swimming prawns were pretty trippy)!
As for cold water experience... I got my dry suit cert almost immediately after my OW. (perhaps 2 fun dives in a wetsuit). And I just bought myself a Nex-Gen with ct-200 thermal underwear. Thermocline? what thermocline?
As for air consumption I usually plan my dives that once one of us (usually my buddy unless i'm with a much more experienced diver) reaches 1500 psi we turn around (& perhaps ascend a little bit. Then we indicate to each other when we have 100psi. If we haven't made it to shore already the saftey stop usually happens at somebodys 700psi.
It never hurts to be conservative.

was in Carrollton Texas, in my back yard. Our above ground pool, 3 1/2' deep in March. Water temp was about 55 degrees. I was wearing 2 pairs of sweats, my friend Marc, that got me hooked, was wearing his wet suit, 7mm.

After 45-50 minutes, Marc, his wife Terry, and my wife came to drag me out of the pool. No, I was not frozen nor did I look like a Smurf. I was having a blast with Marc's gear.

I have been diving in lakes where the temp goes from 80 to 65 at 30-35 feet. Not wearing a hood gives you a real idea of what a migraine headache feels like.

I dive wet down to the upper 30's wearing a 7mm full with a 7mm hooded vest, 5mm gloves or mittens, 7mm boots.

I have used a dry suit, water skiing variant, which is quite interesting. I will dive dry again, but with a scuba dry suit.

I have no problem getting to the bottom rather quickly IF properly protected.

As to air management, take a class, take to some experienced divers, etc. That is one skill you MUST get a handle on. Not only are you jeopardizing yourself, but your buddy also.

Breath deep and slow on the way down, deep and faster, not FAST, but faster, on the way up. Breathing slower on the way down conserves air for your bottom time. Increasing your rate of breathing on the return trip, speed the amount of oxygen to help outgassing of nitrogen.

Don't be overly fascinated with being able to write some number on the depth line of your log book.

Do be overly fascinated with being able to write the dive number in your log book.

Back
Top Bottom