905 drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. I talked to the seller of the suit and apparently most if not all parts of the suit are essentially the same.

SparticleBrane:
Have there been any changes made to the 905 between early 2004 and now?

The biggest change since 2004 has been the price. Last year they increased the price $200 sometime in the fall and they increased it again another $200 just in recent months.

that suit has gone from $1200 to $1600 in under 6 months.

If Dive Rite can't figure out why they aren't selling suit much anymore, this is why.

I had one dive shop owner tell me that he expects the 905 to be close to $2000 grand soon.

I have the chance to get a used one manufactured in January of 2004 for a nice price. I'm curious how much has changed since then. If anyone knows, I'd love to hear it. :) I know the latest ones have SiTech valves (inlet valve moves to the side), thigh pockets, and shoulder/knee/elbow/butt wear pads.

If it's a decent price and in good shape. I'd buy the used one. Dive Rite's price increases are just too whacky.

If you don't buy it and it's a XL or XXL and a good price, send me a PM with the info. :D

You know...I don't think I've ever seen you post anything about the 905 other than it's multiple price increases.
Look at the falling value of the dollar as the main clue. :wink:

Yes the falling value of the dollar is having a huge impact on this.

But regardless of brand name, dry suits in general are rather low tech. It's just rubber and laminate. There is no reason why they should approach $2k. I'm sure part of the reason though is that individual manufacturer volume just isn't that high to lower the cost of manufacturing.

The DiveRite 905 is made by Polarsafety in Finland, which made the old Dacor Extreme suits for Dacor. Polarsafety sells the same suit as the Polarsafety 905 in Europe. They all are high frequency welded, but the newer suits have some nice improvements over the Dacor in detail and sizing.

evad:
Are they made by the same company?

oxyhacker:
The DiveRite 905 is made by Polarsafety in Finland, which made the old Dacor Extreme suits for Dacor. Polarsafety sells the same suit as the Polarsafety 905 in Europe. They all are high frequency welded, but the newer suits have some nice improvements over the Dacor in detail and sizing.

And Polarsafety produces trilaminate fabric for the suit, make hoods, uses viking latex seals, totally hand made in Finland, made to measure if needed,, all together you get superior quality. there are drysuits used over 10 year still as new, well latex part dont last that long. Doesnt come cheap. Basic polarsuits cost here around 700 euros wich is littlebit over 1000 dollar there, probably DR want something for themselves. Polarsafety makes divecomputers also here in finland, like Suunto. And it is DR importer also.

http://www.polarsukellus.fi/

Another drysuit manufacturer is Ursuk, high quality too. check out x3 especially
http://www.ursuk.com/

a from arctic circle

oxyhacker:

I have a Dacor "Kodiak" (I think) which appears to be sewn and taped. Shouldn't I be able to have it made skinnier?

P.S. Love the book.

A good shop should be able to take in any suit, regardless of how the seams were done originally. So it's just a matter of finding a shop that is comfortable working on that suit.

evad:
I have a Dacor "Kodiak" (I think) which appears to be sewn and taped. Shouldn't I be able to have it made skinnier?

P.S. Love the book.

So, DR expects that their suit is competitive to DUI one in the future market.

If it is the same price, I am wondering how many consumers grab DR instead of DUI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom