A 3/5MM in Belize, mid November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n8Delta

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brand new to diving, although, I have been certified for over a year. Only a couple dives under the belt, but recently invested in some gear (BC, computer, regs, etc) so it'd be easier to get out there. I live in Sacramento, CA, so plan to do most of my diving in North Coast (but will rent a 7mm suit for awhile) ... I did however purchase a 3/5mm "Edge" wetsuit for an upcoming trip to Belize in November. I realize that this suit might be a tad warm for this area, but was also hoping to have an all around suit for other dive sites like Costa Rica , Hawaii.

Now, I'm having seconds thoughts on that suit in Belize. Is it going to be too warm (i.e., uncomfortable)? Anyone have any recommended California coast suit packages (7mm suit/hood/gloves) for the (currently) occassional and frugle (slightly poor) diver. :)

Nate

If you are in a hurry to get into a 7 mil, look at the AKONA suits. They are inexpensive and pretty good quality. Otherwise, I'd save up and get a Pinnacle Arctic. I've been using one for a couple years and am very happy with it. As to being too warm in Belize in November, I don't think you'll be too unhappy in your 3/5 unless you are particularly warm blooded. My only concern would be wrestling into it on a warm day on the surface.

I dove Belize in a 5mm last Nov and was fine...I did not feel overheated at all. I also did Maui last Jan in the 5 and again no probs. I'm not particularly cold blooded (unless you talk to my ex) so I don't think you should have any problems.

We dove in Belize mid/late December last year (on the Nekton Pilot) and I wore a 5mm full the entire week, while my husband was comfortable in his 3mm full. Most of the divers on the boat switched to a 5mm full mid-week as their bodies cooled from the repetitive diving. The water temperature was 79 degrees.

Look at it this way, if you're a little warm it's very easy to cool off by flooding your suit. But if you're cold, there isn't anything you can do to warm up in the water.

You may not be too warm in the water and as said you can cool off easily there, but you may be warm gearing up. You will have to wear more weight which is a shame if you could do without, but not the end of the world.

Personally, I'm one who likes to use the minimum suit I can in the tropics so I can enjoy the lack of neoprene and weight.

Hi,

I'm in Oakland, and I'm probably heading there on 12/26. What days were you going to be there?

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom