A call for action on marine conversation in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavew0man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yes, the sharks were killed. I'm posting this on behalf of a local (Playa del Carmen and the Riviera Maya) group, including dive operators, for whom this event was the straw that broke the camel's back. Marine parks surround us - Cozumel, Puerto Morelos, Cancun - yet the reefs here (and their residents like these unfortunate bull sharks) remain largely unprotected. Whether or not international or national protected area regulations apply, in practice, our marine resources are wide open to irresponsible exploitation.

Whether or not this particular fisherman was infringing on the Reglamento del Equilibrio Ecológico y Protección Ambiental, and whether or not he was legally in the area, there was no one there to stop him. If this had been in the Cozumel marine park, we likely wouldn't be having this discussion. And he wasn't the first fisherman this year to kill a bull off of Playa.

Please visit the website - www.blueheartsociety.org - and if you support this call for action, sign the online petition, which will be presented to local authorities.

If you are a PDC or Riviera Maya business, please contact them directly through the site to be included as a supporter and to obtain petition materials for your use.

We need to stop talking about it, and do something about it.

Last edited:
I just found out that Akumal Beach Resort serves shark meat (and someone had the buffet photo to prove it). I don't stay at resorts and have never seen shark on the menu at any restaurants I've been to in many years of traveling around mainland Q.Roo, Cozumel and Isla Mujeres. I'm totally disgusted that a resort does that. Just because it's not illegal it doesn't make it acceptable.

If this one small resort is doing it, I'd suspect they aren't the only ones?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom