A diver's review of the Canon A570IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It just takes a little time and patience to understand. Theory is all well and good but where is the fun if photography if you're not taking pictures? :D

Medic0506,

Practice, practice, practice. Next dive trip see if you can find a shore dive location that is easy to get to and not too deep so you can spend 1+ hrs there; then find something that doesn't move but makes for an interesting photo and spend the entire dive there changing the aperature (f stop), shutter speed, white balance setting, shooting with and without the in-camera strobe, and varying the power of the strobe. Keep doing this until you get a feel for how changing each of these settings affects your photos.

Or shoot mostly video clips with your camera which are quite easy to shoot and fun to watch.

Rickg

Yeah I've looked at those links and it never makes any sense to me. Maybe photography just isn't for me...

Yep! I get lost in all the photo speak as well. But don't give up! Digital Camera's rock because of the instant feedback on the screen. Learn 1 thing at a time and take pictures that you put on your desk to enjoy until the next trip. Grunts are plentiful but this guy makes me laugh. Truth be told he makes me want to get back in the water too!
grunt_2besthawaii2007_wp.jpg

DivingPrincessE,

ce4jesus is sooooooo correct in that digital is "instant" gratification and so much better than when film was the only option and you had to shoot and then wait until you could get it developed before you knew whether or not you got the picture right. Now you immediately if you make a mistake instead of having to wait days or week.

Rickg

Well, I get lost with all the technical stuff too. Just when I think I've learned something, I forget it. LOL.
My opinion is, the greatest photographers are not only the most creative, but the geekiest too.

Do you use the Image Stabilization? I have been reasonable underwhelmed with the clarity of my pictures and I am not 100% convinced the IS is very good. I suppose I need to remind myself too that this isn't my DSLR...

I really do like all of the manual features of this camera though. it really is great.
On the topic of lighting underwater... I generally don't ever use the built in flash, it is worthless underwater. I try to take the majority of my pics it water 20' or less. the natural light is enough at that depth. I also use Shutter priority to 1/60 -1/160 range and shoot until it gets to dark for proper exposure.

Yes, I do use the IS but don't have a point of reference to compare it to because this is my first digital camera and I haven't tried to shoot the same pictures with IS on and IS off. I figure it can't hurt.

Rickg

I agree with rick. Even if it helps just a little, it's better than nothing. I agree the built in flash is relatively useless underwater unless you like backscatter. :D

I thought the IS was always on, I didn't realize it was a setting. Can anyone tell me where to find this setting so I can make sure the IS is "on"

Thanks!

I thought the IS was always on, I didn't realize it was a setting. Can anyone tell me where to find this setting so I can make sure the IS is "on"

Thanks!

Press your menu button, make sure the tab that show the camera body is selected and then just scroll down until you get to "IS Mode".

Rickg

Back
Top Bottom