A diver's review of the Canon A570IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should try it without IS on. Image Stabilization is a good thing if you are in a low light situation and trying to use a shutter speed less than 1/60, but it may end up making your picture blurry if it's an action shot (in other words, the fish is swimming away :)). The reason is the IS is doing extra processing which is not necessary for higher shutter speeds.

john,

That gives me some food for thought and something to try the next time I'm practicing with my camera. Now if I can just get the fish to swim the same course in front of me over and over and over again :) Just joking.

Thanks for the advice and I will give it a try.

Rickg

Hi medic.
I have a question about the canon a570is with the WP-DC12 housing.
Often in underwater photography you need a red filter, since the red light is deflected more than the other colors. Using flash usually fixes that, but like the image you've shown, using the camera flash will reflect the particles in the water.

Is it possible to install a red filter on the WP-DC12 housing?
If not, did the white balance solve that problem for you??

Thanks alot.

After my first dives with the 570 I realized various settings need to be adjusted and various misconceptions--some mine and some from the internet had to be understood. I have semi-verified the following setting as being useable in a swimming pool as a starting point for my next trip.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From my experiments in the pool today my suggested Canon 570IS settings are:

1.) Camera set to Av on the Mode Dial.

2.) Under MENU set the flash to manual

3.) Under FUNCTION SET:

Go to flash and set flash to 1/3 power.

Set ISO to 100 (for flash)

Set White Balance to either UW or as suits your conditions

4) Under Flash command button set flash ON (the other select is OFF)

Other info under Menu, red eye off, focus assist off, AiFS off, center weighted, center focus selected.

4.) Inon D2000 Flash mode:

Set D2000 to External Auto mode

Set magnet switch ON by installing the magnet

Match F stop on controller knob to F stop selected on Canon 570IS in Av mode.

5.) Shoot away and adjust exposure by varying exposure ISO or camera F stop on camera or controller knob F stop on the D2000.

A. If it ocurrs to you that you would like to shoot the scene without flash simply hit flash OFF on the 570IS Flash command button. Evalute exposure using camera meter or external meter and shoot. To return to flash simply reset Flash command to ON.

B. For non flash expoures alternate method, shift camera mode wheel to Manual, select F stop and shutter speed per camera exposure info or use external meter. Select flash OFF on Flash command button.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red light is not "deflected" but is abosrbed. The light spectrum is differentially absorbed by the water column which as well imparts it's own cast. A red filter cannot really add back what is gone, instead it holds back other colors to restore red balance. Once the red is completely absorbed, usually between 10 and 30 feet but in ultra clear water deeper, then those "marine" filters are of little value.

The above setting is based on 570IS, Inon D2000 strobe and Inon lenses.

The Magic type filter can be cut and applied to the lens barrel face or to the innerside of the DC12 port.

N

I recognize your photos. I miss the Atlantis and Stuart Cove in the Bahamas :( Living in Australia its just so expensive to go there regularly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom