A fair and balanced look at Air2s and other combination inflators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For your sake, I hope so too.

Yeah, my heart wouldn't take it. I'd just have to slow down and ascend.

That Shadow sort of Y-fitting uses the standard, small Shrader valves in the quick disconnect, and really does not provide enough air flow if someone is breathing hard from the reg. That is why all the modern "air2's" use the larger diameter fitting with the large Schrader valve in the QD.

The shadow connects to the first stage using a normal regulator hose, but there is a low pressure Y adapter before the second stage. That then has a normal, albeit very short LPI hose that goes to the inflator. The second stage is "permanently" attached to the first stage, and the only QD is the one connecting it to the normal inflator hose. Not a great solution imho which is probably why it never took off

Air2 fitting adapter to connect my reg set to a regular BC if needed
42" hose primary .. a longer hosed primary really is/should be mandatory for use with these
hate that it's heavy and wants to hang down even with a bungee on upper hose , I dive with one hand holding it to my chest

Air2 fitting adapter to connect my reg set to a regular BC if needed
42" hose primary .. a longer hosed primary really is/should be mandatory for use with these
hate that it's heavy and wants to hang down even with a bungee on upper hose , I dive with one hand holding it to my chest

Get yourself one of these. Magnetic-Hose-Holder-Black-Body

I took the plastic clip off and just put the split ring directly on my left shoulder d ring. I moved the d ring down to the right position on my shoulder harness. Be sure to put a thin coat of silicone caulk over the magnet. Neodymium magnets will eventually rust.

one con that i believe has not been mentioned is the additional "different" piece of gear when it comes time to troubleshoot and / or service

my primary and octo are identical. they take the same service kits. they work the same.

using an Air2 adds yet another piece of different equipment for you (or your service tech) to learn and maintain.

Get yourself one of these. Magnetic-Hose-Holder-Black-Body

I took the plastic clip off and just put the split ring directly on my left shoulder d ring. I moved the d ring down to the right position on my shoulder harness. Be sure to put a thin coat of silicone caulk over the magnet. Neodymium magnets will eventually rust.
Looks like a great solution, I ordered one. I usually coat things with clear nail polish instead of silicone.

one con that i believe has not been mentioned is the additional "different" piece of gear when it comes time to troubleshoot and / or service

my primary and octo are identical. they take the same service kits. they work the same.

using an Air2 adds yet another piece of different equipment for you (or your service tech) to learn and maintain.
If you're getting it serviced at a dealer, it shouldn't matter. Especially if they're honoring the parts for life program. DIY? That might be an issue, but not an insurmountable one.

Back
Top Bottom