A fair and balanced look at Air2s and other combination inflators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Questions on Air2s come up and having now actually talked to people who dive them I think I would like to encourage an honest discussion of their benefits and drawbacks. While the Air2 itself is a Scubapro product, and Scubapro was a pioneer in this area, most of the discussion applies to other brands.

Why an Air2?

The Air2 is sold as an alternative to the octopus. It offers the benefits of primary donate, among them, that the OOA diver receives a known good regulator, the donated regulator is always in the same place (i.e. the diver's mouth) rather than somewhere in the "golden triangle," and the trained response to an OOA diver more closely matches real-world emergencies ("muggings for air").

Most recreational divers are unaware that there is such a configuration as a secondary on a neck bungee, and few instructors and dive shops teach, sell, or rent these configurations, unless they are shops catering to technical divers. Many criticisms of the Air2 made on SB are made in comparison to this configuration rather than in comparison to an octopus.

It's a package deal

Scubapro has, as far as I can tell, only sold Air2s in conjunction with BCs that have a right shoulder dump. Divers who are trained on an Air2 are typically taught to use the right shoulder dump to control their ascent instead of using the exhaust button on the Air2. This is important because the Air2 can't be used as a regulator while the exhaust button is depressed -- it functions just like a power inflator with the exhaust button depressed so that you can inflate the BC orally if necessary.

When using an Air2 on a BC without a shoulder dump during an air sharing ascent, the donating diver has to remove the Air2 from his or her mouth to vent the BC. For accomplished divers this should be no big deal. For novices who aren't comfortable removing the reg from their mouth, well, the intended configuration is to have a BC with shoulder dumps, and they should stick to that or an octo until they are more skilled.

Compared to a secondary on a neck bungee

All but a handful of my dives have been with a secondary under my chin. I went through the process of being a student diver and then a new diver with that configuration. My daughters now dive this configuration and I've watched them.

The Air2 has several advantages:

1) The bungeed secondary adds extra last-minute gear donning steps before entering the water. It's necessary to check the hose routing to make sure it's not twisted with the primary, and then put on the neck strap. Order is important, you have to put on the neck strap after pulling up your hood and before putting on your mask or putting the primary in your mouth. Especially on a boat, where it is a goal to get into the water quickly, this adds an unwanted albeit brief delay. And especially with new divers, it's one more thing to remember.

2) In some circumstances, the bungeed secondary gets in the way. This is particularly true for divers of smaller overall body size or with shorter necks.

3) For bungeed secondaries, hose length and bungee length are diver specific and have to be determined by trial and error. This is one reason you'll probably never see this configuration in rental gear.

4) You can only bungee one regulator. An Air2 opens up the possibility of using the under-the-chin regulator for a back-mounted pony.

And several disadvantages:

1) Though suitable for an immediate ascent, breathing from an Air2 isn't as comfortable as breathing from the primary reg. The bulky hoses limit range of motion and will tend to push on your mouth, and the "inflate" button ends up in an awkward place. Though not a problem on a recreational dive, this poses obvious problems in an overhead environment or in restrictions.

2) LP hose connector compatibility. The oversized connector that the Air2 requires isn't compatible with the fill connector on lift bags or SMBs. When mismatched connectors are used, it's possible for the LP hose connector to jam in the open position leading to a rapid loss of air.

3) The Air2 is more bulky than a standard power inflator, which clutters up the left side of the diver's chest, particularly a problem when carrying a stage or a camera in this area.

4) Difficulties switching BCs. If your regulator set is configured for an Air2, you have to use a BC with an Air2. In the event you need to rent or borrow a BC without an Air2, you have to get a matching regulator set or replace the power inflator on the new BC with the Air2 from your BC.

5) In the event of a stuck inflate valve, it is necessary to disconnect the LP hose from the Air2. This is more difficult to do than it is to disconnect a standard LP hose, because more force is required.

6) There do not appear to be any high-quality integrated inflators on the market, for which parts are readily available for people who service their own gear.

Urban legends and myths

Let it never be said that SB posters lack imagination. Here are some facts to counter the myths

1) Contrary to the myth, high quality integrated inflators breath extremely well (Some early production Air2s did not, and there are reportedly some inexpensive generic knockoffs that do not), comparable to any other regulator at recreational depths. The internal mechanism, diaphragm size, venturi effect, etc., is very similar to ordinary regulators.

2) Contrary to the myth, any of these configurations can be well streamlined. Or be a dangley mess. You have to choose suitable hose lengths and have a means of holding everything in place.

My choices

I have an Air2 that came with a BC I bought used for one of my kids. I replaced it with a K inflator so that we could all dive the same configuration.

Then on a dark and stormy night in a back alley behind a dive shop in Key Largo, I met with a fellow, who after carefully checking to be sure neither one of us had been followed by a ScubaPro manufacturer's representative, sold me a service kit for it. I serviced it, but it's only been wet when I was adjusting it using the kitchen sink-a-helic gauge.

I like my ordinary K inflators and bungeed secondaries because it is what we are all used to. All the parts interchange, all the regs work with all the BCs, I don't have to visit dark alleys to get service kits, and I have room for my stage bottle on my left side.

I have some friends who dive Air2s who are safe and streamlined, and this weekend we're going to go blow bubbles together without dissing each others' gear choices.

lots of good points, and a bunch of falsies...

When using an Air2 on a BC without a shoulder dump during an air sharing ascent, the donating diver has to remove the Air2 from his or her mouth to vent the BC.

Pull-To-Dump fittings have been around nearly as long as these units. They add the obligatory "point of failure", but every item added does. I'd be curious the actual number of instances per dive used (we will never know, so the vocal minority prevails). It takes some practice and using your teeth, but you can vent a BC and use a combo-unit for an air supply. Practice what you dive....

4) Difficulties switching BCs. If your regulator set is configured for an Air2, you have to use a BC with an Air2. In the event you need to rent or borrow a BC without an Air2, you have to get a matching regulator set or replace the power inflator on the new BC with the Air2 from your BC.

There are adapters to convert the "High Flow QD" to standard QD. You then dive without an octo, or use some tools and add one to your first stage.

5) In the event of a stuck inflate valve, it is necessary to disconnect the LP hose from the Air2. This is more difficult to do than it is to disconnect a standard LP hose, because more force is required.

????? :confused:

I'm sure this will get interesting..... :popcorn:

There are so many errors in this I'm not even going to try to correct them.
"Fair and Balanced" is what Fox News says when they produce a biased or poor report.

Scubapro has, as far as I can tell, only sold Air2s in conjunction with BCs that have a right shoulder dump.
That is not correct. I purchased an air2 from a local scubapro dealer without a bcd. I installed it on my diverite wing in the store.

couple comments, this is typed while I'm reading so it might sound like rambling

The shoulder dump presents a potential problem as the pull dumps are typically hard to have fine control. Unlike the lower dump where you can reach back and pull the line while pushing against the dump allowing very precise control, the pull dumps are basically on/off, and can encourage stepwise ascents. Not a huge problem, but something that does remove a bit of precise control. With a typical inflator, the proper way to control the ascent while vertical is not to hold the inflator above your head, but to hold the deflate button down the whole time in the normal position, and raise and lower the whole inflator so that the wing auto-dumps itself as you ascent. You control the ascent rate by raising or lowering the inflator to control the amount of air in the wing/bcd. Very very few divers do this, very very few instructors know how to do this and teach it, but it's something that the Air2 absolutely can't do.

Air2 advantages
1- Suicide straps do add a bit to the order of operations for getting into your gear, but I don't always pull my hood up first. Quite often I will put the strap on, then pull the hood through it *I use hooded vests unless in a drysuit, but with a drysuit hood you can definitely put the strap on first.

2. get a different second stage that is more appropriate. Poseidon Xstream and the Hollis 500se/Oceanic Omega's come to mind. Don't know of any other cons, though at the same time the mouthpiece is always facing up, and I have dove with plenty of 5' tall divers that use this setup and they've never brought it up as a con. Not sure of any other configuration where it is a problem.

3. absolutely not true. The secondary length is definitely able to be fixed. Here's why. Your neck should always be in the same position relative to the first stage, regardless of how tall you are, how big you are, etc. if the rig is adjusted so the first stage is in an appropriate position. There are typically 2 hose lengths, 22" and 24" *depends on how your first stage is setup, the 24" I see with doubles kits where the hoses come down first then over I.e. Apeks Tek3/DS4, but for singles and most regulators now, the 22" is perfect*. I use shorter hoses because my Poseidons stick out farther than normal regulators for the hose connection, but 22" is probably the most common length.

4. If you're using a backmounted pony, why do you need 3 second stages? If you can't breathe on your primary any more either due to a failure or having donated it, why would you want to breathe on the Air2, and if you are, why carry the pony?

Disadvantages:
6. Dive Rite, Zeagle, and Atomic all have available parts kits for their integrated deals

Comments: it is unlikely that those of us who are avid opponents of the integrated deals will belittle someone with their gear in person. I know that I never do. If I am asked why I don't use one, or what I think about their gear configuration, or anything else, than they are going to get my brutally honest answer, but it will only come if they ask for it. Everyone is entitled to their own gear configuration if that is what they think is best, if they ask for my opinion, they'll get it, but if they don't ask, then I won't comment on it

I think a "fair and balanced" discussion about Air2s and other combination inflators is not likely to be had here on SB. There is too much prejudice here regarding them. Too much ignorance here regarding them. And, evidently, too many who post here who have their own, personal agendas.

My first open water course stressed buddy breathing (one 2nd stage shared between two divers) from the outset. Before we were issued our scuba (i.e., when we were still in the skin diving/snorkeling portion of the course), we were introduced to buddy breathing--and made to practice buddy breathing many, many times--by passing a snorkel back and forth to simulate buddy breathing using a regulator.

When we were issued our scuba, finally, we continued to practice buddy breathing, early and often, whether using a double hose regulator or a single hose regulator.

And we practiced many, many skills that involved "losing" one's regulator. And we practiced simulated CESA's.

Why is a "safe second" or "octopus" or "combination inflator" even *necessary* at all for recreational diving?

My daughters are 13 (twins) and 15 years old now. I began teaching them basic, fundamental snorkeling and scuba diving skills four summers ago. If you swim up to any one of them and surprise her with the "need-to-buddy-breathe" signal, she will immediately competently commence buddy breathing. If you signal "low on air," she will immediately position herself to be able to immediately commence buddy breathing as she and you decide the next course of action.

I personally use an Air II (when I choose to use one) when recreation diving, only because a "safe second" is required by many dive operators--NOT because I believe wearing one will make my recreational dives any safer.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

I carry a spare l.p. hose and octo in case my checked bag is lost. A minor inconvenience.

Bungee necklace adds no more time or effort than putting the octo on a standard set up in an octo holder.
If you do don the long hose first it takes all of a half second to sort things out.
In a rescue situation those who have not been trained in the use of the integrated inflator may have difficulty sorting out what button to push to inflate a victim's BC.

They are not standardized and each may look quite different. A standard inflator has the dump on the end. Inflate on the side. No confusion even when a mfg uses a fancy one. I have seen this happen in a class when even after going over two different types of integrated inflators (Scuba Pro and Aqualung) a student not used to seeing them had some difficulty deciding which one to push. Another item is the size. Someone with very small hands may have difficulty as well manipulating it.

Using one also necessitates the use of a longer than normal hose on the primary. Otherwise with larger divers the standard 28 inch primary hose puts the divers in a position with little or no room to maneuver. Personally I don't want to be right up in a stressed divers face with no room to move around.

Trying to tame one of these so it is not dangling around will involve holding on to it all the time or fashioning some type of bungee to keep it tucked close to the shoulder strap. The latter may have a negative effect on deploying it quickly should that be necessary. So taking something that is supposed to add to safety and making it harder to deploy. Doesn't make much sense.

The argument that losing one hose makes a diver more streamlined to sell these is just so much horse caca.

Jim. I have an air 2 and reading this discussion (and others like it) is making me think. Which is what I think the op had in mind.

Have a question and comments.
A long hose on a donated primary is what is recommended so that is not a problem right? I am thinking of getting a longer hose, how long should it be?

My wife has a standard inflator and it is only a couple of inches shorter than mine, I stay off the reef so the argument that it is something that would be too dangly does not seem to apply. I have thought about keeping it secured but will consider your point and be sure it is still easy to deploy.

My inflate button is red so I would hope that would make it easy but I do see your point that not everyone would "get it" in a pressure situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom