A few critters from Thailand...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huskychemist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been meaning to post a few of these and I've been a bit of a slacker, so here they are:

All of these have been spotted in the Gulf of Thailand off the coast of Pattaya. (Either Koh Sak or Koh Larn) All in 5-15 msw, either on the sandy bottom or on coral reef. All photos were taken within the last month.

Critter Number 1: Pipefish of some sort. Can't find any like this in "Reef Fish Identification: Tropical Pacific." Any idaes on the species?

KohSak-SaxophoneBay-LT-2008-09-20-028.jpg

Critter Number 2: Seahorse. Also can't find a match for this in my books.

KohSak-SaxophoneBay-LT-2008-09-20-079.jpg

Critter Number 3: A sea urchin. (The one in the front.) Closest I can seem to get from my books is Prionocidaris verticillata, but I'm not convinced that's correct.

KohSakEast-LT-2008-09-13-001.jpg

Critter Number 4: Seastar from the genus Luidia. The book I'm using says that Luidia maculata has 7-9 arms and Luidia magnifica has 9-10 rays. So of course I see the star with nine. Not sure how else to tell the difference...

KohSakEast-LT-2008-09-13-005.jpg

Critter Number 5: My thought on this one: Leopard flounder, Bothus pantherinus. Am I correct? Any other ideas?

KohSakEast-LT-2008-09-13-087.jpg

Critter Number 6: Cone shell. Can't seem to identify the species.

KohSakWest-LT-2008-08-12-039.jpg

Critter Number 7: Unknown fish...my only thought is its body shape reminds me of a puffer or boxfish, but it just doesn't seem right. And I can't find it in any of my books.

KohSakWest-LT-2008-09-13-078.jpg

Thanks for any help provided.

Looking through "Reef Fish Identification: Tropical Pacific" (Allen, Steene, Humann and DeLoach) I think I found critter #7.

I think it's a milkspotted puffer, Chelonodon patoca.

I'm still hoping some of you will chime in with help on the others.

Thanks.

Pic#1 is a pipefish or seaneedle(Syngnathus) family of the seahorse

Thanks for the response. Glad to get confirmation that it's a pipefish.

Any other thoughts out there on any of the critters here?

Critter Number 6 is a volute - Cymbiola nobilis.

Critter Number 6 is a volute - Cymbiola nobilis.

Vie,

Thanks for the ID. Of course, as soon as you give me the ID and I find it in my book, I slap my forhead and go "Duh!" But I didn't catch it the first time because I was focusing on the cone shells. The general consensus on the boat that day was that this was a cone shell (and therefore venomous). But in looking for more information on this snail, it doesn't appear to be a cone shell.

Thanks again.

Lowell

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom