A few favorite photos from Maui (imgs)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi AUTiger:

We are heading to Maui in mid-April, and I am trying to line up some dives. Any recommendations on companies or locations? We are up north at Kaanapali, so I have been considering Kapalua Dive kayak outings and an Ed Robinson boat trip.

Not sure how I would get my Subal Housing and strobes into a Kayak with dive gear, but it looks like fun.

Thanks for any advice,

Dan

The nudibranch is with my D80, 60mm macro lens, and dual DS125 strobes.

The gobie is with my D80, Sigma 17-70 macro lens, and dual DS125 strobes.

The turtle is with my wife's pocketbook camera, a Canon SD700 in the Canon housing, with no strobe. I color corrected it using Photoshop. The Canon works ok, but just barely. I'd rather have a Canon G9 for my more "portable" camera.

David

Those are some great pics. I'm just starting out on certification, but photography is one of the things I am interested in. Can I ask what equipment you used?

We were in Kaanapali (we always stay at the Whaler Condos by the Whaler Shopping Center). I don't know about the Dive Kayak Company.

I usually use Ed Robinson. They operate out of Kihei, about 30 minutes away. This time, we were quite happy using Extended Horizons (out of Lahaina, right down the road) to go to Lanai. I definitely recommend them. Mike Severns (also out of Kihei) always get good reviews. I tried them this time, but has so-so diving, mostly due to bad weather forcing us into the inside of Molokini crater, instead of the back wall dives.

Shore diving at Mala Pier (behind the Safeway, 5 minutes from Kaanapali) was pretty good - and cheap. That's where the turtles were.

David

Hi AUTiger:
We are heading to Maui in mid-April, and I am trying to line up some dives. Any recommendations on companies or locations? We are up north at Kaanapali, so I have been considering Kapalua Dive kayak outings and an Ed Robinson boat trip.

Not sure how I would get my Subal Housing and strobes into a Kayak with dive gear, but it looks like fun.

Thanks for any advice,

Dan

The turtle picture was taken at Mala Pier, a collapsed concrete pier. It was build in 1922 for the sugar cane industry. It was 300 feet long. 150 feet of it collapsed in a 1996 hurricane. The concrete rubble lies in shallow water. Its a nice jumble of concrete piers and flat sections that use to be the walkway. The rubble is piled up to 15 feet tall. There are lots of sea turtles, some white tip reef sharks, some frogfish (didn't see any - darn), and other fish.

That turtle had wedged himself under a piece of rebar protruding from the concrete. It kept him in place so that he didn't have to fight the current.

Here is a cool video of the turtles: Mala Pier Turtle Video

David

I love the turtle. What is that resting on his back? A back scratcher?

Beautiful shots, David! I like the #1 shot. Thanks for sharing! :wink:

Ed.

Back
Top Bottom