A few fusion questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigred177

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've looked through the p valve posts but still haven't seen a good picture of where on your leg it goes. Do most people put it on their inner thigh or more around the front closer to their quad? When I was trying mine on for placement, I ended up sticking my finger right on the seam for the trilam. I have a bolt style valve so I think it is a little thicker, maybe on the quad side of the seam?

Also, I bought this suit as a used demo back before all of the new fancy skins came out on it. I am 6'3" and 260lbs but trim in the middle with thick legs and a bigger chest. I have the 2x/3xl suit and it feels like there is a lot of dry material bunching up in the middle and around my chest area. Do you think I might could try a l/xl skin to pull things in a bit? Or would a smaller suit work better? The inseam and legs fit great, just the upper part is an issue. Also, the sleeves bunch up around my wrists, anything to prevent that?

One last thing, I sweat, a lot, even when it's cool outside I'll have sweat running down my face from donning the suit. So when I get in the water, there is a fair bit of sweat in my suit cooling me down in the cold water. Now that it's warming up but the water temps are still cool, it's going to be even worse. Suggestions?
Also I usually wear an underarmor coldgear top and underarmor fleece pants.

Thanks guys

Most people put their p-valves on the midthigh, not quite on the inner surface. You don't want it on the back of the thigh, because you need to be able to reach the bolt/cap to close the valve if need be. You don't want it on the front, because it will catch on things on the bottom, if you have to dive close to it.

Sweating when getting into a dry suit is an occupational hazard of dry suits, and it's worse in warm weather. The keys are to have all your equipment assembled and ready to don before you suit up. If there is some delay before diving, walk down to the water in your suit and get wet, so you can cool a little. Don't put your hood on until you have to, and you can pour cold water over your head as well. This problem is by no means unique to the Fusion!

With respect to sizing, I'll let the Whites folks advise you, but extra fabric in a Fusion, assuming the arms and legs fit, is not much of an issue.

My Fusion Bullet is L/XL. I'm 5' 11" and 195 lbs and my suit fits me great. Whites size chart says a L/XL fits up to 6' 1" and 210 lbs and based on the fit of my suit I'd say this is accurate. Based on your measurements it sounds as if your suit is properly sized. Have you checked into alterations? I'd think the sleeve length could be shortened, and this might eliminate some of the bunching, however I have no clue if the chest area could be modified due to the zipper.

Whites marks the recommended position of the P valve on the left thigh. I pulled the Bullet skin off of my Fusion and noted the "white dot" of ink there. It's directly in the middle of the thigh, right where it would be protruding straight out the front. This to me seems wrong. TSandM said it could possibly catch on things and I'd tend to agree with that. Most of the valves I've seen are just to the inside of the thigh, and this is where I expect I'll be installing mine.

Bigred177, it sounds as if this may be new to you...

May I suggest a post that is one of the classics of all time? It's over on TDS, and you'll have to register to see it...but trust me, it's worth it.

Mastery or Misadventure, the secrets of the condom catheter

When I looked it up to post here, I laughed all over again!

All the best, James

My Fusion Bullet is L/XL. I'm 5' 11" and 195 lbs and my suit fits me great. Whites size chart says a L/XL fits up to 6' 1" and 210 lbs and based on the fit of my suit I'd say this is accurate. Based on your measurements it sounds as if your suit is properly sized. Have you checked into alterations? I'd think the sleeve length could be shortened, and this might eliminate some of the bunching, however I have no clue if the chest area could be modified due to the zipper.

Whites marks the recommended position of the P valve on the left thigh. I pulled the Bullet skin off of my Fusion and noted the "white dot" of ink there. It's directly in the middle of the thigh, right where it would be protruding straight out the front. This to me seems wrong. TSandM said it could possibly catch on things and I'd tend to agree with that. Most of the valves I've seen are just to the inside of the thigh, and this is where I expect I'll be installing mine.

I think that is a feature on their newer suits. Mine was manufactured in 2008 and from what I've read, the older ones don't have that marking. I haven't pulled my skin off to check yet since I don't have my location marked just in case.

I have not looked into alterations but that sounds like it might not be a bad idea.

Bigred177, it sounds as if this may be new to you...

May I suggest a post that is one of the classics of all time? It's over on TDS, and you'll have to register to see it...but trust me, it's worth it.

Mastery or Misadventure, the secrets of the condom catheter

When I looked it up to post here, I laughed all over again!

All the best, James

I found that thread last night in my searching. Some good stuff in there haha. Ah the joys of using a p valve...

Being in Texas I haven't run into many people diving dry and people with a p valve on top of that, so I have just never seen the ideal mounting location on them.

Well no leaks! After four dives all 100+ ffw I I was damp but I think that was more of my sweat than anything since it was all over me not just on my leg. The only chance I had to try the valve was after dive 1 in the restroom. Under close supervision while hanging my leg over the urinal everything worked the way it should. The Freedom cath popped off on the second dive all by itself so I never got to try it in the water. My Rochester samples are in the mail, I just had this one handy from when I got the valve.

I also must say that I absolutely love diving dry. I have used the suit twice before but didn't have proper thermal protection and wasn't able to form a good opinion. 50* water for 45 mins with a UA cold gear top and fleece bottoms with a hood and gloves and didn't even almost think about being chilled.

Hey bigred, in regards to installing P-valves we direct them to the inside of the thigh a little up from the knee, but not on any seams. You can do this either on the right or left side, up to you. We do mark our suits with the correct location but after awhile the marking does seem to rub off. As for your sizing at 6'3 260lbs normally that would but in a size 4xl suit, so I would not recommend going down a suit size as you might lose some mobility. Some material bunching is expected in the Fusion suits as they are overcut to give you the most flexability possible. What style of Fusion skin do you have on the drycore? Also as TSand M stated sweating does come with the territory, I am not overly familiar with the under armour gear, but you would want something that is breathable and will wick the moisture away from your skin as well as supply you with amply isulation,. Our MK series of undergarments work fantastic in this department. Give them a try and let us know what you think. I you require further information please feel free to drop us aline anytime.
Thanks Doug,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom