A few questions about Fakarava diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
B

bluechub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am planning a trip to Fakarava and could use some input from those that have been diving there. Is the atoll worth one week of diving? I looked at previous posts and it seems that the dive operators essentially take you to South Pass, North Pass – in a couple of configurations – and that’s it. Many do 2-3 days max each in Fakarava and they repeat in Rangiroa - we prefer to stay put in one place, if it's worth it. While I am looking forward to do the South Pass a couple of times, realistically how many times can you do the same reef and dive without being too repetitive? On the other hand, if marine life can vary greatly from one day to the next one (I know, you can never be sure!), it is a different story.

Second question: of the North Fakarava dive ops, I could not find anything mentioned about Top Dive - any positives/negatives?

Lastly: I assume some/many dives will need a reef hook? Any "sheltered" dive at all?

Thanks!

Hi,
My husband and I went to Fakarava and Rangiroa in October 2022. I wrote a detailed review on Undercurrent awhile back. We much preferred Fakarava diving over Rangiroa. In Fakarava we dove for 3 days in the North Pass and 3 days in the South Pass--diving was exciting, lots of sharks and the reef was in great shape. We dove with O2 divers in the North and Top Dive in the South--both good operations. In Rangiroa we dove the same pass everyday and didn't find it as interesting, especially after being in Fakarava for a week prior. We would go back to Fakarava in a second, and hope to soon. There was more current in Fakarava than Rangiroa when we were there, but that probably can vary. No need for reef hooks, you just do each dive as a drift. Message me directly and I can send you a link to my Undercurrent review if you'd like.

Hi,
My husband and I went to Fakarava and Rangiroa in October 2022. I wrote a detailed review on Undercurrent awhile back. We much preferred Fakarava diving over Rangiroa. In Fakarava we dove for 3 days in the North Pass and 3 days in the South Pass--diving was exciting, lots of sharks and the reef was in great shape. We dove with O2 divers in the North and Top Dive in the South--both good operations. In Rangiroa we dove the same pass everyday and didn't find it as interesting, especially after being in Fakarava for a week prior. We would go back to Fakarava in a second, and hope to soon. There was more current in Fakarava than Rangiroa when we were there, but that probably can vary. No need for reef hooks, you just do each dive as a drift. Message me directly and I can send you a link to my Undercurrent review if you'd like.

Would love the link if you have it handy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom