A fun dive and silty training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe in CW2 for the mask R&R it says seated or kneeling, can someone verify this under the recommended training sequence area? But then again this is under the "recommended" section ... so one could debate it's requirement to standards :)

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
The comment about 1' above and 1' below would give the impression that one is standing vertically in the water column which i did intend to imply simply because the best approach I have found for Scuba Unit R&R is on one knee on the bottom and one raised up with foot flat, to provide a resting place for the tank bottom when you swing it around in front of you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your initial post regarding this said:

I'd especially like to see divers of any level doing the scuba unit R&R in an 8' pool without striking the bottom or floating to the top. Just picture now a 6' tall man with 1' of clearance above his head and 1' of clearance below his feet.

So... If you are 6' tall and in an 8' deep pool, and you are kneeling with one knee on the bottom and one raised foot up flat, then you would not have 1' below you (as you would be on the bottom) and you would have considerably more than 1' above you...

Perhaps that is the easiest way for you to do it, and perhaps it is a standards violation for a student to do it in midwater. However, you said you would like to see divers of any level do this. I inquired about borrowing an u/w video camera today, so perhaps you will get your wish soon.

I believe in CW2 for the mask R&R it says seated or kneeling, can someone verify this under the recommended training sequence area? But then again this is under the "recommended" section ... so one could debate it's requirement to standards :)

DB,
"Completely remove, replace and clear the mask of water while underwater" You are correct that the"recommended" sequence is to do it seated or kneeling. The only reason I harp on this little detail is because I think reading the exact letter of the standard FREES you to do it another way if you so choose. At least I think so. There are many instructors out there who cannot imagine doing it any other way, thinking they are restricted by standards. That's all, didn't mean to make such a big deal out of it. :)
Neil

The wording in the standards that must be obeyed to the letter is the bold print. The verbage in the sequencing sections are recomendations only.

There is of course more than one method or style of teaching that can put out a good diver. However the fact remains that EVERY TIME I get a student for a class beyond OW who I didn't train initially I see the same thing. The first thing we di in the water is a skill assesment and when they go to do the skills that I asked of them they ALWAYS drop to their knees. So...sigh...I have to go back almost to the beginning.

Once they learn to kneel it's seems much harder to get them to stop.

Diverbuoy,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't "in water shallow enough to stand up in" get revised in the 3rd quarter of 1999? It now states "in shallow water". There is no reference to being able to stand up.

that's right read your OW Instructor guide again.

since PADI says "in water shallow enough to stand up in"

I DM that class that Diveski is speaking of. I shot the video. All of this is possible as Mike Ferrara has pointed out. Although I no longer have the video, the instructor may. He has sinced moved from Indy and is teaching in San Diego. He is very much into DIR and has learned much of what he knows and how to teach this way from AG. Indy's loss is San Diego's gain. If you are in that area, go check out how they teach at the Diving Locker.

diveski01 once bubbled...
I've seen video of OW pool sessions where this was accomplished by a PADI instructor (who happens to be highly knowledgable in DIR techniques). I personally witnessed another of his OW students perform all the skills mid-water during his second pool session. He was taught all skills while neutrally bouyant and horizontally trim so he never knew to do anything on his knees. Law of Primacy (what you learn first).

We heard that during his check-out dives in Belize the Instructor thought he was joking about not being an already certified and experienced diver. The Instructor almost didn't make him go through the requirements as his skills were excellent.

Every one of the newbie students taught in this manner has had extremely positive reports from their very first dive trips.

It's all about how the instructor teaches from the beginning.

If Mike F. is teaching in this manner then he is doing great things for diving and his new divers have a definite advantage over others. If this is true, I'm betting that his students aren't going around mucking up the quarries due to poor finning and poor bouyancy control.

Back
Top Bottom