A Hard Lesson Learned (+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PatrickM98 once bubbled...

I'm not trying slam OneBrightGator or anything (I feel sorry for you man!), but folks...DO NOT leave thousands of dollars worth of dive gear (or anything for that matter) out in the open in the back of your vehicle!

OneBrightGator said that he had his gear inside the cab of his truck, not out in the open of the truck bed.

But in either case, it's easily seen through the window so it makes it a target for thieves.

I've learned to pack and unpack my vehicle no matter how tired I may be if I get back late from a dive.

Way sorry to read about your truck being broken into. I think your looking at the hock shops and the like is a good idea. Its not likely that divers did it, I would watch the area for tweekers and the like. You know the ones that have a need for quick cash. I lived on my boat for 2 yrs and the harbor areas seem to attract the sort. If your gear is at all unique and you have any photos put them here, some locals might see them. Who knows, it might help. Good luck.
Bill

Keep an eye out on EBAY...they might show up there...the robbers may have been divers so you may want to ask your dive buddies to keep their eyes open. Sucks...hopefully, if they are divers, the gear will fail on them at 100 feet (but I also hope they make it to the surface relatively safely!!!but in shock!!!).

Something odd is going on here. You folks are responding to a post by Angiediver69, and I don't see this post anywhere on this thread.

Did it get pulled, or am I going nuts? Or both?!

simonk999 once bubbled...
My friend decides not to press charges, however, because the police said, either you can get your stuff back right now, or we'll have to impound it as evidence for the trial, which may be in the distant future. The cop may have been attempting to minimize his paperwork, but whatever, my friend decided to take his stuff and call it a day.

While this may differ depending on locales, in my neck of the woods, said evidence can be photographed and recorded, and then given back to rightful owner as soon as possible. This is to encourage people to press charges.

Doesn't make sense, because the scumbag would otherwise go right out and burglarize another vehicle. In essence, by avoiding the paperwork, said officer is causing himself more work.

But like I said, locales differ, and being in CA I'm sure there are plenty of liberal judges. I can certainly see where such a evidentiary procedure would be written as a result of a dismissed case due to alleged fabricated evidence.

As far as advice for Gator. Your auto insurance policy may or may not cover this type of theft. Do you have renters insurance?
Have you tried to ask around your neighbors. "Gee, Brad in 2-B was showing off this new watch he got the other day". The police may not have the resources to do a full court press on this investigation, but that doesn't mean you can't check into things on your own.

If all else fails, loss due to theft is a legitimate item for income tax deduction. See an accountant for details.

detroit diver once bubbled...
Something odd is going on here. You folks are responding to a post by Angiediver69, and I don't see this post anywhere on this thread.

Did it get pulled, or am I going nuts? Or both?!

It must have been pulled. It was here earlier when I was last online. AngieDiver69 said a few uncomplimentary things about what kind of a diver would leave gear out in the open, then suggested the diver might be better off pursuing another leisure activity. Used the 6-letter "s" word, too.

is not tolerated on this board. I pulled his onerous tome and for that I am NOT sorry. Continued meanness will get you banned (as some have learned way too late).

BTW, I feel for you. I have lucked out so far. Hope it holds!!! The Deco Stop is talking about a national registry for this kind of thing. I support that in a big way.

Bummer I would have to agree with Photo, find the critter and throw 'em into the sea( after properly chumming the area) zeN

NetDoc once bubbled...
is not tolerated on this board. I pulled his onerous tome and for that I am NOT sorry. Continued meanness will get you banned (as some have learned way too late).

BTW, I feel for you. I have lucked out so far. Hope it holds!!! The Deco Stop is talking about a national registry for this kind of thing. I support that in a big way.

NetDoc,

Fair enough.

Is there anyway to insert a notation that you pulled a post when you do so? That way, at least we know that there was something there in the first place and don't spend time looking for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom