A Hard Lesson Learned (+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now who is being mean?
I don't know... but as soon as you see someone being mean please contact us. We were alerted to this one that way.

DD... I always let the person I moderated know. Other than that, most of the times it is usually noticed. Especially if there is personal abuse involved.

But please, enough of this, lets get back to the thread!

Sorry to hear about losing your gear.

FYI, I lost a tool box out of my Jeep one year. Both my renters or my auto insurance would have covered it. I went with the auto insurance and they paid after the deductible.

Hope you have a good insurance company like I do!

I had a fellow come into my shop to "sell his brothers equipment" one day. After talking about 5 seconds I knew it was hot. I looked at it, told him it was junk and all I'd give him was $25 for everything. He finally agreed to take 50 for reg and computer. I took his tag number, it was a hot car too. Got the warranty card out of the bag and called the owner. It had only been bought the day before from a competitor. He was completely amazed that I was honest enough to let him have his gear back for only what I "bought" it for. He had heard we were a bunch of thieves. lol

I hope you get lucky and get it back quickly.

PatrickM98 once bubbled...
I'm not trying slam OneBrightGator or anything (I feel sorry for you man!), but folks...DO NOT leave thousands of dollars worth of dive gear (or anything for that matter) out in the open in the back of your vehicle! I know it goes without saying, but you would be surprised about the number of LFAs that occur in this manner and the amount of auto thefts that occur because people leave the doors unlocked and the keys in the car. An ounce of prevention goes a long way.

No matter where you go and what you have, always assume that someone's going to be tempted to peek, and regardless of how worthless it might appear, take whatever you have...this is why the old "Blanket over the pile" trick doesn't work.

The only solution is to make the vehicle cabin appear empty. You've learned the lesson the hard way...sorry. I don't want to say that you were "asking for it", for if you didn't know this, then you've simply been lucky enough to live a relatively sheltered life. Probably everyone I know (myself included) has had their car broken into at least once. My last break-in was for <$2 in quarters that I had on the dash for paying tolls.

BTW, this stuff happens everywhere, diving destinations included: Bonaire's downright notorious for their rental car break-in petty theft problems.

...It wouldn't hurt to e-mail some dive shops outside your immediate area and describe the gear.

Personally visit all your local pawn shops too, and leave a description and your phone#

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom