A New Diver in Middle GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flightlead,

I was mistaken. Spell word for the day will be "gluttonous". Many thanks.

Flint River Diver,

I think it will be rivers and springs for us initially. We live just 15-20 miles from the Flint as it goes through Thomaston, GA. To be honest with you, I never gave it a thought. Some friends of ours just floated the Flint with Riverkeepers down to roughly Montezuma, GA. Is there a link that would give ideas of some deeper parts of the river to dive? Are there many who dive the Flint?

Mark

Welcome korbx5,
I live in Griffin...Orchard Hill, (Lamar Co.) to be exact, was in Barnesville yesterday paying for the car tags.

I haven't been doing too much diving the past year because I usually dive Lanier and it is well drying up so I've been headed over to Alabama to Blue Water Quarry. PM me and I will give you my phone # and we can meet up and dive.

Jeremy

Korbx5,

Actually the thing we have found to do is use evenings to ride the river looking for larger holes, springs, shelves and anything else that appears to be odd structure. We mark it and then come back on the weekends and go to the spots we have marked. Some end up quite interesting and some end up just a bunch of rocks and burned tanks...

Up near you all there are many areas that would be good to hit just by the looking on the web. I have found doing research on indian, spanish, and civil backgrounds bring alot of information to life in the help of finding the things you would be interested in finding. I would do some research on Jackson and his mark to wipe indians from the area. He fought with many of the uppper and lower creek cities back in the day and you will find a good bit of information net wise that will show you good locations to either dig or dive.

This past week i witnessed a beautiful Meg tooth come out of the ichetucknee. So not always are the deeper holes the best holes. We have found many things deep and shallow. The reason i prefer holes is once something goes down a hill to a deep end it is hard for it to come back shallow. But that isnt always the key as some things get caught up in shallow catches as well.

Not knowing your area it is hard for me to say what i would do or where i would actually dive there. But my usual technique is to snorkle an area in the shallows before burning tanks on the deep end. It can be just as fun and rewarding to do so and gives you more knowledge of the area in which you are diving. Also by the time you snorkle you will be happy to get to relax on the bottom some and enjoy some casual fanning.

Another good trick if you are wanting to find artifacts. Is to peel that hard layer of the river bed away and fan the silted ground under it. Getting one of them propellsion vehicles will be your next best thing if you really get into searching. I hope this helps some and best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom