A new video showing Reverse Kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan I thought your video was great.

I was refering to the second one. It's funny to an insider true (and I get the joke) but if the page is to reach out to those who aren't "in the club" one might want to consider perceptions that's all. What's the biggest DIR related criticism? "Elitist and looking down on those who don't dive their way".
I don't think there is any need to lampoon the jacket BCD. The truth is there are many fine and accomplished divers who use them. If it's true that DIR isn't just about the gear I'd say why not reflect that.

Good point. As my father said: "Weave the truth in a warm coat the other person would want to put on rather than turning it into a wet towel thrown in someone's face"

Maybe the best didactic approach would be
  1. 'typical' diver in jacket BCD making a mess
  2. skilled diver in jacket NOT making a mess and benefiting from it
  3. skilled DIR diver having it easier NOT making a mess and benefiting even more

with a final comment that propulsion techniques and gear are components of a larger philosophy.

Dale, I think the second video was really making fun of the "Get a BP/W" brigade, here on ScubaBoard. Jep was lampooning the folks who tell new divers that their IQ will increase and their teeth will get whiter, if they just buy a backplate . . . There ARE some other videos out there that are pretty elitist ("Raining Students") but this one certainly wasn't intended that way.

YouTube - Raining Students... and Instructors

If this is the video you were talking about and those were really instructors and instructor candidates, YIKES!

YouTube - Raining Students... and Instructors

If this is the video you were talking about and those were really instructors and instructor candidates, YIKES!

I'm more worried about the behavior of the subjects of that video than the behavior of the divers shooting that video.

That kind of diving instruction really should be unacceptable.

As was brought out one of the times that video was posted, the "students" were at least in part experienced divers whose task it was to simulate the worst that OW students could throw at instuctors. I don't know which of the divers pictured were those particular ones. I have heard a rumor about the one guy in the short sleeves, but I have no independent confirmation of it. But I had to go back and reevaluate my reaction to the video, once I knew it was their mission to be as bad as possible.

Post deleted.

so i guess the guy who was roughly horizontal was the instructor trainer then, and my opinion still hasn't changed at all...

it takes the ludicrous edge off of it, but its still appalling...

Re "raining divers;" actually, backing out from under dive-bombing divers is a frequently useful skill.

Nicely redone (except the schoolmarm in me says that the caption saying "There is the frog kick and back kick" ought to be "there ARE" :) ).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom