A non-diving question for technical divers:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Co-workers and non diving friends...I'll tell them as much as they want to know or care to know. i.e. "So I hear you scuba dive?"
"Yes and rather often."
"My wife and tried it once on our honeymoon."
"That's great, did you enjoy it?"
"It was fun to try it once but just not our thing."
"Cool! Can I get you another drink."

To those very interested and maybe already certified it is more indepth.
"So I hear you scuba dive?"
"Yes and rather often."
"Really? Where at."
"Well it depends on what I am wanting to do. If I want to just go deep and keep it local then Lake Jocassee, caves Fla., wrecks the ocean, shark teeth hunting then the Cooper River, etc."
"I am a rather new diver looking at doing some of the things that you are doing. So could you please explain some of the things I heard, training questions, equipment questions, ect.?"
"Well..." And it just goes from there.

Family fully understands everything I am doing and almost all support me. My wife took an OW class but does not dive. The only thing that the wife is uneasy with is solo diving and I try not to do it. I find it rather hard to edit video and the two daughters and my wife unknowing. Heck, my youngest daughter knew from 4 years old about where "Not My Fault" is at in Cow.

I don't bother going too much into detail unless they ask about specifics.
What I do go into detail about is explaining my photos I take while diving, or the cool things I saw, or the awesome experience I had.

Most people just start shaking their head NOPE UH UH..NO WAY NOOOOOO SIRRRR THATS CRAZY TO DIVE IN CAVES! PEOPLE GET KILLED ALL THE TIME!...
I only respond with "That's why you go through extensive training..." YEAH BUT THERES THAT ONE CASE WHERE BLAH BLAH DIED AT SUCH AND SUCH PLACE... "But that person was not trained to be doing what he was doing. There is more risk in driving your car than dying in a cave"...

I usually give up after that... there's just no point.

I had one friend that when they heard where I was going to be diving, they insisted that I please please please don't dive there (neither of them are divers). I went ahead and did my dive in this "so dangerous" place and had a great time. Some people don't understand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom