A Question for Cozumel Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got home (1am this morning) from 7 days in Coz. I book hotel/air together then book diving seperately for reasons already listed.
I used Blue Angel Dive Op. located next door to Lorena Hotel. I chose this Op from recommendations on this board.
I e-mailed several and they were the only one to return my mail. I can highly recommend them. Part of my decision was my 14 yr. old daughter wanted to get her OW cert. while there. I obviously wanted someone really good and "Bird"
at Blue Angel certainly was that.( His real name is Lloyd Hawk, but insisted we call him "bird").
The Island was really "slow" except for cruise ships - some days as many as 9 in port at one time. A cab driver said in about 2 weeks , he wasn't sure exact date, but due to coincidental cruise schedules there would be 15 ships in one day. I wouldn't want to be there!!
The usual rotation is 35 ships in 7 days, again according to a taxi driver.

One shop owner said hotel occupancy is running less than 10%. I'm not sure this is accurate, but at FA there weren't many people until Thursday.

I'm planning on posting a BRIEF dive-by-dive report later this week when I get caught up from being gone all last week.

Todd

mr_jmac once bubbled...

I've been doing some research on the net and all-inclusive vacation packages out of Toronto appear to be around $1100-$1200 per person. Someone recommended the Reef Club.
Any idea what we can expect to pay for the diving on top of this price???

Is this a good deal or can we find better?

Later,
Joe

I did Reef Club this summer. It was a great deal (air & land out of TX) but, based on feedback from another board, I dove with Papa Hogs rather than the in-house Sand Dollar. The place was more than adequate and I believe a 10 dive package with Papa Hogs was $240 (USD). Other ops I have dove with seemed to be more than that - $270 to $290. Some offer premium diving but are quite a bit more.

The walk to the dock from reef club is about 300 meters. Sand Dollar is large slow boats and has a reputation for being very conservative. Light breathing divers may finish with 1500+ psi. Snorkleing from shore was OK but Sand Dollar was not inclined to rent shore tanks. I didn't see anyone shore diving the entire week. Ops using small boats (6 packs) are more inclined to group divers by skills and adjust dive profiles and sites accordingly.

If you really want to go cheap, I understand Papa Hogs actually has a few rooms for rent below the shop, one with kitchen. We're talking something a bit more asutere than my wife is willing to try. There are also reasonably priced hotels nearby as well as free shore diving on Villa Blanc reef. I have not done that but I believe it is patch reef with some coral heads you can poke around.

There are plenty of good dive ops to choose from. But there are a few you might want to avoid. If you want to shore dive, I suggest you stay within about 3 KM south of San Miguel. Reef Club and other southern resorts (others are more $$$) have little shore diving.

After doing a bit more research I've decided to book the airfare/hotel together and the diving separately.

Dive prices seem consistent but I think I will take the advice of those who advise sticking to smaller boats with less people.

Thanks again,
Joe

I booked a package with Bay Adventures, for Plaza Las Glorias, and with Dive Paradise. I've never been there, but I researched a lot and many people seemed to enjoy this package. After shopping around, I couldn't find a better deal, and I got Air, motel, diving all included. They sent my coupon (showing I've paid). I am verrrrrry satisfied with what they have done so far. I recommend them.
Sharkman
:guitar:

Sharkman: I did the Plaza in August. It was pretty cool. PM me if you have any questions I might be able to help with.

As a "Groundhog", I'll have to weigh in on the side of Papa Hog's. Haven't made it to Coz yet, but have met Mike. Their fast "6 pack" boats will have you out and back in style, with more attention than the larger "cattle" boats. They're quite safety conscious and I've been told they'll want to see your log book, not just a C card, to assess your capabilities. Contacting one of the Ontario Groundhog stores www.groundhogdivers.com might get you more info and they may be able to assist with booking as they have frequent contact with Mike. They also run annual group trips to Coz.

Kent

In case you're wondering, what's a "Groundhog"?

The Iberostar is awesome. All-inclusive and very clean. It's also very close to all of the good dive sites on the island. A word of caution, don't use the hotels dive group (Dressel Divers). They're expensive and pretty bad. I use Blue Angel and have heard great responses from others that have used them. Have fun.

We fly out of Toronto and get a direct flight to Cozumel. We have dove with Papa Hogs and were very happy. They have fast 6packs and good DM's.
We are going Jan.25 for 1 week. For a winter holiday January offers the best prices. If you're willing to book at the last minute you can get some very good prices from itravel2000.
Good Luck and maybe I'll see you in Cozumel.
:)

I have only been diving one year but I have been to Coz four times now. THE best airfare is at Applevacations.com or call a travel agent and ask for Apple Vacations Air Only Supersaver. I don't know what city you are in and Apple only flies from select US cities, but if you can get to one of their airports, they try to fill empty seats on their charter flights. I have flown Denver to Coz for as little as $138 round trip. Normall pay around $199 round trip plus taxes.

Once there, Plaza las Glorias is a very nice hotel on the beach with dive shop in house. Closest to town for walking into town at night, don't have to pay a taxi. Sol Cabanas del Caribe is a nice little older hotel on the north end, clean and inexpensive.

The diving is at south end of the island so if you pick a hotel way south you will shorten your boat ride to dive site but lengthen your taxi ride into town for night life. One very nice hotel, recently remodeled and renamed is Brisas. VERY nice place with dive shop and boat dock, still close to town.

I always book my flight with Applevacations then go to Expedia.com for hotel. haven't found a cheaper hotel price anywhere else ($74 per night for room at Plaza las Glorias, $51 per night for a room at Sol Cabanas del Caribe)

Enjoy. Cozumel is a fun, laid back place.

Hey Joe,

If you haven't booked anything, email BLUE ANGEL, they have very reasonable packages for hotel & diving along with an e-brochure with helpful ideas, such as good, cheap places to eat and rent a car. Give them a chance - email alexcozumel@prodigy.net.mx (this is the new email address, they still answer the old one also.)
They dive all the reefs and give you free air tanks for shore dives which are great right in front of their shop.

If you have a car you can take the tanks to other good places while you are there, and I know there are good places because my wife & I dive them often and the picture ops are fantantic.

One of the pictures that will be in Rodales Calendar was shot right in front of the BLUE ANGEL DIVE SHOP at night, & I know who took it.

http://cozumel-diving.net/BlueAngel/instruct.htm

Have fun!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom