A quick question about diving in MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one thing nobody mentions (and i can't see why, it's IMPORTANT!!!). pee valves and front entry. unless you have the comfort of a RV at your disposal and the entry is right next to the parking lot these are important. It is like night and day, you can partially undress without any assistance and don't have to undress as often. Also, pay attention to the undergarments, they make a big difference as well. choose one that suits you well and is of proper warmth for the weather, you don't want to be sweat soaked by the time you are in the water but you don't want to be cold once in either.
Personally i prefer shells but neoprene suits are good as well (some people prefer them).
As said before the main issue with drysuits is the additional weight (which if you dress properly should be about the same as with a wetsuit that is good for you in the specific temperature you are diving), streamlining (you don't want to inflate the suit to the point of it bulging but you don't want to squeeze the undergarments either) and trim (place your weights in proper position for you). As long as you have these covered you should have no issues, the invertion becomes a problem mainly when you overinflate the suit but the problem is of magnitude, especially if you are not nimble / flexible / powerful enough. basically consists of you floating legs up while being too buoyant, in this situation you can not vent air (the valve is on the shoulder) and you are floating up (which makes it worse progressively). In a nutshell the solution is a forced roll using the fins as means of generating momentum, you roll and bring yourself in legs somewhat down position, this allows for venting of the drysuit. during the maneuver most people loose depth and some loose orientation (remember compass bearing and look at the bubbles). It is not a big issues if you keep the initial dives short and shallow enough to allow for somewhat fast ascents in case you miss the maneuver. Other than that the only difference is that you need an extra LP hose and you are connected via it to your BC / tank / regulator, you have to unhook the hose to dump it (not a good idea any way while in water). i noticed a 5-10 % in air consumption once i started diving dry. i'm 6'2" and about 205, if you are about my size and want to try my shell suit just let me know.

one thing nobody mentions (and i can't see why, it's IMPORTANT!!!). pee valves and front entry. unless you have the comfort of a RV at your disposal and the entry is right next to the parking lot these are important. It is like night and day, you can partially undress without any assistance and don't have to undress as often.

I've been diving dry for a loooong time. While front entry can be nice, I've rarely had an occasion where I couldn't figure out how to open a rear-mount zipper by myself. Tree branches, hooks on trucks, converted metal hangars all work. Better yet find a pal (any pal) and get a unzip. The harder part is once you're unzipped is finding a discrete place to go to the bathroom. :D

Before you invest in a dry suit or even a thicker wet suit you should rent a suit and take a dive. New England diving is nothing like Caribbean diving. Low viz, cold SIs, tough entries (made tougher by the additional equipment) don't expect to see a lot of picturesque critters. Although a lot of the critters you will run into are quite tasty! That being said diving in New England is better than not diving at all.

:confused::shakehead:

The only statement you made that is accurate is "New England diving is nothing like Caribbean diving."

Not always is the viz "low". If your SIs are cold you need to improve your preparation. The critters might not be as colorful but they are equally picturesque. Diving anywhere is better than not diving.

The only statement you made that is accurate is "New England diving is nothing like Caribbean diving."

Not always is the viz "low". If your SIs are cold you need to improve your preparation. The critters might not be as colorful but they are equally picturesque. Diving anywhere is better than not diving.

How often is the viz 50 feet?
How often is the air temp 80 degrees in march, april, may?
If you find brown picturesque then you are in for a treat!

I was living in MA when I was first certified. I dived locally in a 7mm + 4/6mm hooded vest. Worked ok until winter approached. I soon transitioned to a (used) dry suit. Kept me diving year round. If I could have afforded to get one earlier, I would have. Dry is a much better way to dive in cold water (IMO).

Personally, I found the shore and boat dives in MA to be quite beautiful. Learn to go slow and there's almost always something interesting to see.

How often is the viz 50 feet?
How often is the air temp 80 degrees in march, april, may?
If you find brown picturesque then you are in for a treat!

is that how you define good viz? 50+ feet? Sure, diving off Cape Ann isn't 50+ but dives with 25+ feet aren't unheard of

Often times when I'm diving I'm in a t shirt or no shirt during my SI... Not in March or April, but down in FL I often will toss on a sweatshirt that time of year as well, especially this past year.

As for lots of brown, sure there is a bunch of brown, but try diving halfway rock during the summer. There will be a lot of color to be had.

That said, New England diving sure isn't Caribbean diving, but, it's great diving non the less

I was living in MA when I was first certified. I dived locally in a 7mm + 4/6mm hooded vest. Worked ok until winter approached. I soon transitioned to a (used) dry suit. Kept me diving year round. If I could have afforded to get one earlier, I would have. Dry is a much better way to dive in cold water (IMO).

Personally, I found the shore and boat dives in MA to be quite beautiful. Learn to go slow and there's almost always something interesting to see.

As usual, you are pretty spot on. Two or so years ago I dove a 7/5 fullsuit April to November. This past year before I purchased a drysuit I dove with a 3mm shorty underneath starting April 1st and it wasn't bad at all. Sure, the days in November and April were usually just one dive days but I wasn't overly uncomfortable. That said, I now have a drysuit and dove a few days ago. It's nice to be diving comfortably in December.

I love diving here in New England but his comments clearly are accurate. Diving here is fun, more challenging and better than not diving, but certainly colder with poor visability most times.

is that how you define good viz? 50+ feet? Sure, diving off Cape Ann isn't 50+ but dives with 25+ feet aren't unheard of

Often times when I'm diving I'm in a t shirt or no shirt during my SI... Not in March or April, but down in FL I often will toss on a sweatshirt that time of year as well, especially this past year.

As for lots of brown, sure there is a bunch of brown, but try diving halfway rock during the summer. There will be a lot of color to be had.

That said, New England diving sure isn't Caribbean diving, but, it's great diving non the less

:D I was just being a bit of a wise ass... my point to the OP was don't blow a ton of money on gear expecting it to be all angel fish and sea horses. I love diving around here (I drive my dive buddies nuts watching whelks and moon snails for what probably seems like hours) but my wife said "never again" after our last Foley Cove dive.

:D I was just being a bit of a wise ass... my point to the OP was don't blow a ton of money on gear expecting it to be all angel fish and sea horses. I love diving around here (I drive my dive buddies nuts watching whelks and moon snails for what probably seems like hours) but my wife said "never again" after our last Foley Cove dive.

:thumb: gatcha :wink:

you hit the nail on the head there...

Back
Top Bottom