A review of Backplate/Wing vs. Jacket BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by java

Care to explain why? What would be wrong with the BP/W that would cause you to ditch it for your wet suit dive?

Thanks in advance
(1) The backplate is too heavy, leaving no ditchable weight
(2) The wing, being back inflate, has lousy floatation characteristics while I'm working the surface position, helping students on their first ocean dives. Even when I want back inflate with a single, I use a Transpac & travel wing rather than the BP & standard wing.
(3) My overall all-position trim with a single 80 is better with a jacket than with a BP.
(4) I do not like the way a standard wing can trap air on one side of a single tank when head down and a little sideways. (the Transpac/travel wing combo doesn't do this)
(5) I like the big pockets where I can carry a few extra weights and doodads that some student will invariably need.
(6) I like the feel of the jacket better.
Rick

Java,

One thing to consider.....not to put words into Rick's mouth...but I think he is diving in warmer water with thinner wetsuits. I dive colder water with a thick farmer john/jacket and hooded vest.

A 9lb negative Backplate is not a big issue for ME, since this represents only a fraction of the total "weight" I am carrying. For someone wearing little/no exposure protection.....the BP may represent the majority of the weight they are carrying....which could lead to obvious problems in the event of a BC failure.

Bottom line -- Rick brings up a good point to consider when buying a BP. That being said, there are multiple models of backplates out there that can meet your needs in multiple climates (AL vs. SS, etc.)/weighting situations.

-Chris

I haven't started anything yet today so...
I use the bp/wing only. Trim is right on. I am comfortable and stable even at the surface. I don't need extra weight in the pockets as I get students weighted right before we start. How can my trim be good with extra weight in the pockets? How can I teach good trim if I don't have it? All my diving is coolish water so a 6 pound bp does not leave me without ditchable weight but it does put more of the weight where I need it. My 36 pound wing does not trap air anyplace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom