a SCUBA diver was almost killed at a local marina in St.Margaret's Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
And what is it?

I'm afraid safety is just an excuse. Real reasons involve commerce, profit, and influence.
Read post #8.

well after 30 years of diving in Ontario as a commercial diver, this :censored: Cameron sends me a note telling me I know nothing about what I am talking about and this is were this board has always failed. Cameron or what ever he calls himself is a basic scuba instructor and should contain himself to that level of training. We commercial divers know our industry and do not like scuba divers doing our jobs because it kills our market and creates unnecessary paper work and search and recovery jobs for us that don't pay from time to time. "I hope you get the hint". Perhaps Cameron is one of those star studded :censored: scuba instructors with his chest out that I see so ofter believing he can do just about anything underwater with out the proper training and paper work. This thread was just to advice you of how simple accidents can happen underwater, so next time please think before your asked to do something you are not qualified to do. This thread can now be dropped.

Happy diving

Rollie

Doc Intrepid:
Everyone has a purpose in life. Sometimes it's to act as a warning to others....

Good one Doc.
:D

Actually the thing that is wrong with this board, or any board for that matter, is that any one can come on here and say I did this and that with out any proof. It is a shame that when people post here they have to say "we commercial divers" or something of the like in order to have some sort of credability with the readers. If you want to be credible, then quote OSHA, or other regs. When you put on a persona of " I'm a commercial diver and I just know" you are just being another jackoff on the net. Know your stuff befor you "enlighten" us with you knowledge.
And yes my name is Cameron Takacs in real life. You don't know who or what I am but I will forward you a CV if you like. Don't post lies on the forums. I see you are again taking your assumptions as fact. You really need to work on that. I have PM'd you my phone number if you want to talk more.

Cameron

Rollie's first post was a reprint of an open letter to the Nova Scotia Department of Labour, the author identifies himself as Richard Engel, Chief Diving Supervisor. I have no idea who that is, or what his relationship to the accident is.

I don't think anybody needs to quote regulations to show that commercial work is dangerous for the untrained. We have a lot of open water certified divers doing work in fish farms and other areas of the marine industry in Nova Scotia. I'm no commercial diver, but I've been out on a few occasions to help out a friend who has contracts with several of the salmon farms throughout the province. The work was rarely deeper than 30', vis was usually 5 to 10', good for that type of diving I'm told. The chance for entanglement or injury is pretty good..... you might have 100 dives out there with no incidents.... but we all know that it's how you're trainied to react when there is trouble that will keep you alive. I was only out maybe 10 times, but had something gone wrong I would have reacted just like any other sport diver, and maybe been killed.... simply because I didn't know any better.

Most of us could teach our friends to dive I expect.... but not many of us would. This type of diving is no different, you don't know what you don't know..... and no amount of cyber diving will make up for real training from someone who knows what they're talking about, and who can assess you to be sure you aren't a thud.

safe dives all....

chris

nalfein:
Rollie's first post was a reprint of an open letter to the Nova Scotia Department of Labour, the author identifies himself as Richard Engel, Chief Diving Supervisor.

And we are discussing this in the Ontario section of the board?

Rollie's point is quite valid let the experts do the job, 30 or 200 feet of water dont matter you have stuck your head in a place you cant breathe.

Guys, I moved this to the Eastern Canada forum, since it isn't about Ontario.

I believe the initial letter was posted by Richard Engel who works for a company called Connors diving. Connors specialized in inshore diving work. I guess that means marinas, lakes, and reservoirs. Although commercial diving should be done by the pros I sense the motivation of this letter was to promote his company and diminish the small time operators.

Because Connors deals with inshore sites they probably face a lot of competition from SCUBA divers. There are hundreds of local divers who would happily clean a boat hull or pull a prop to make extra cash. There aren’t many divers who would consider doing some arc welding at 200’ in the North Atlantic on a day when the waves are rolling in at 50’.

Rollie:
We commercial divers know our industry and do not like scuba divers doing our jobs because it kills our market and creates unnecessary paper work and search and recovery jobs for us that don't pay from time to time.

I see. It is just the concern for the well-being of recreational scuba divers with absolutely no selfish motives.

Would you be satisfied if they just payed you more for the S&R? Somehow, I suspect the math may not work out.

i have worked in the commercial feild and was grandfathered in. as a saftey diver for the company i worked for all they required of us was rescuediver certification. i have done hard hat diving as well. doing mooring inspection is not something i would classify as a commercial dive op. but i wouldnt do it without a second diver in the water and an experienced tender on the surface. something obviously had to happen to this diver for him to be unconcious. i have removed over 100 ropas from boats wheels, checked and installed all kinds of bouys to morrings and there is a safe way to do this . experience, proper planning of your dive and having a knowledge of the area you are diving in all plays towards a safe dive. i agree with the marina in their thinking that the commercial diver is over priced for them. they are. i have done commercial diving on salmon pens with pressure washers. 100 bucks / tank 4 tanks every day in 30 feet of water., with tide as a factor . i think what it all boils down to is the experience level of the diver . someone fresh out an open water cpourse has no business doing anything commercial . if they do impliment commercial diving regulations on my current industry then the industry would die. im currently a sea urchin diver in new brunswick, were i required to use surface supplied air, diver to surface communications i would make 0 dollars as we need to have the freedom of movement to look for the urchins. yet it is classed as commercial fishing/diving. it begs the question just how experienced was this diver ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom