A Shoulder Dump For Vertical Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eastwest

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have two Halycon BC's both with butt dumps and never have used this method , dumping air out of my shoulder manual inflator with left hand held high . Since not using them cave diving , I should convert them to a shoulder dump . I wonder if Halycon has parts to plumb into the manual inflator hose or something else . Good Times. Rumdumb

I have two Halycon BC's both with butt dumps and never have used this method , dumping air out of my shoulder manual inflator with left hand held high . Since not using them cave diving , I should convert them to a shoulder dump . I wonder if Halycon has parts to plumb into the manual inflator hose or something else . Good Times. Rumdumb
I'm not sure I understand this. If the low-tech approach of holding the manual inflator "up" with your left hand and pressing the exhaust button works for you, then why change? Why introduce some new complication, possibly compromising (a bit) the integrity of your BC?

rx7diver

@Eastwest,

My very first BCD was an orange taco-pocket-style SP Stab Jacket (SSJ) I purchased new in 1987. It had a single over-pressure relief valve (a.k.a. dump valve) on its right shoulder.

I replaced that SSJ in 1993 with a black classic SSJ, which has a right shoulder dump valve and another dump valve low on the back. So, this "new" SSJ has two (!!) dump valves that can fail!

I am fine with the single dump valves that each of my wings has. Truthfully, for the recreational diving that I do here in MO and AR, I rarely use any dump valve during a dive. Rather, I most often use the low-tech approach of dumping air through the power inflator or AIR 2.

FWIW.

rx7diver

What is wrong with the inflator dump valve?
Why wasting money on something else?
It does not make any sense at all

What is wrong with the inflator dump valve?
Why wasting money on something else?
It does not make any sense at all
Sorry to be a princess, but I don't like having to roll to my right and go slightly head down to vent from my wing. I put an inflator "pull" dump valve on both my warm and cold water wings. I don't need to break trim, and since the inflator is bungeed to my left "D" ring, I just give it a gentle tug. An additional benefit for cold water is that the exhaust bubbles are closer to your hood and you can hear them. No way when I'm wearing a 10mm hood can I hear the wing butt dump

I ascend on a 45% angle most of the time because l have a load of gear , big scooters , big reels and game bags hanging from my side besides the anchor line is on a 45

Sorry to be a princess, but I don't like having to roll to my right and go slightly head down to vent from my wing. I put an inflator "pull" dump valve on both my warm and cold water wings. I don't need to break trim, and since the inflator is bungeed to my left "D" ring, I just give it a gentle tug. An additional benefit for cold water is that the exhaust bubbles are closer to your hood and you can hear them. No way when I'm wearing a 10mm hood can I hear the wing butt dump
@JohnN ,

I always recommend against an inflator pull-to-dump valve. If you pull on something, you just might pull it apart!

My SSJ has a pull cord leading up to the right shoulder dump valve. We were taught (in my NAUI/YMCA open water course in 1986) to NOT use this pull cord--because the cord (or its attachment point) might break just when you really need it to work! Instead, if we needed to dump through the shoulder dump valve, we would reach up and back for it with our right hand and directly trip it.

These days, I dive wet in at most a medium-thickness wetsuit with an old-school PST 72. Recreational profiles. I don't put a lot of air in my BC (whether SSJ or wings), so I don't need to be doing much exhausting.

rx7diver

I love having a right shoulder vent, not just for myself but it makes deflating runaway students and customers so much easier.

It's also great for work dives since you spend most of your time vertical.

Highly unlikely that Halcyon would have produced remote dump valve.
So the OP has to buy a whole set up eg. DGX but need to make sure it is compatible with Halcyon.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom