Disconnecting Scubapro Air2 (3rd Generation) from shoulder dump cable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keesmon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi gang,
I purchased a used Zeagle Concept for my son from eBay and it showed up in great shape, but with an Air2 (3rd Generation) attached.
I have no idea if the Air2 is operational, and am removing it. As he is a beginning diver (25+ dives), I would prefer he dives with a standard inflator, so I purchased a standard inflator. I wouldn't mind holding onto the air2 for possible future use.
When I cut off the tie wraps holding the corrugated hose over the Air2 I found the shoulder dump cable attached (see pictures).
The post holding the cable appears to be permanently fixed inside the Air2 Unit. The replacement inflator has a post that is removable.
My question is:
How do I disconnect the Air 2 from the shoulder dump cable, so I can connect the new inflator? I see can see three options:
1. Wreck the Air2 and remove the post by force, freeing the cable, but keeping the loop of the cable intact.
2. Figure out how to remove the crimp in the loop on the cable and slide it off, then get a new crimp and create the same loop for the new inflator. I don't really know how to do this.
3. Cut the shoulder dump cable and install the new inflator without the shoulder dump cable attached.. (I honestly had no idea that the shoulder dump worked by pulling on the inflator unit. I thought it was just an overflow valve).
Please see the pictures below, and if this should be in the BCD category, mods, please move this over there. The last picture is the new inflator with the removable pin
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 110
  • unnamed-4.jpg
    unnamed-4.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 122
  • unnamed-5.jpg
    unnamed-5.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 104
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 101
It should be a metal cross pin just like the new one, try grabbing the pin and twisting while you push to one side or the other, it may just be hidden under some sealer or something. If all else fails cut it, the pin, and slide the cable out.

certainly looks to be a push spot to extract the pin...

1649113851546.png

maybe a little scraping with a point of something to remove any adhesive from the hole (sometimes they used it)...

Never cut the pin or any such similar butchery suggested by April Fooools

Mate you don't know stuff and you make it clear you're not into fixing stuff
so go contribute nothing in a farming forum and leave the knowing stuff to
us

It's a little late, but I would have just unscrewed the elbow and set the entire assembly aside(or tossed it) and replaced elbow, hose, and inflator. That would assume standard threads being present on the BC, though.

It's a little late, but I would have just unscrewed the elbow and set the entire assembly aside(or tossed it) and replaced elbow, hose, and inflator. That would assume standard threads being present on BC, though.
That's what I would do too. Basically remove the shoulder pull dump assembly and replace it with a standard elbow. I have actually seen people pull their corrugated hose right off the shoulder dump. Then the BC immediately floods. It's a terrible design that is easily avoided.

Back
Top Bottom