A Sincere Question about Console Vs. Wrist Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im not sure of when the no faster than your bubbles came out
It is ancient wisdom, at least on the time scale of scuba. And really poor advice....
If you're going to follow your bubbles, (1) follow the small ones, no bigger than 2mm, and (2) follow the new ones on each breath, not the old ones that get bigger and accelerate!
Bubble Speed
Scuba Diving Bubble Mechanics

In the table below, from Ksenofontov et al, Regulation of bubbles ascending speed in water, Materials Science and Engineering, V 492, 2019; note that 0.15 m/s is about 30 ft/minute, so only the bubbles smaller than 2mm are going that slow.
upload_2019-11-30_12-21-3.png

It is ancient wisdom, at least on the time scale of scuba. And really poor advice....
If you're going to follow your bubbles, (1) follow the small ones, no bigger than 2mm, and (2) follow the new ones on each breath, not the old ones that get bigger and accelerate!
Bubble Speed
Scuba Diving Bubble Mechanics

In the table below, from Ksenofontov et al, Regulation of bubbles ascending speed in water, Materials Science and Engineering, V 492, 2019; note that 0.15 m/s is about 30 ft/minute, so only the bubbles smaller than 2mm are going that slow.
View attachment 552643
Great chart. I just wish the columns extended a bit further to the right to see where the bubble size starts to exceed 60 ft/min.

Great chart. I just wish the columns extended a bit further to the right to see where the bubble size starts to exceed 60 ft/min.
Looks like about 4-5 cm....
upload_2019-11-30_14-36-8.png

Indeed, "bubbles" is a much too broad statement to be of much practical value...

My training was “no faster than your smallest bubble” and one was continuously changing to the smallest bubble. My closeup vision was pretty good then and the ascent was close to using a depth gauge and watch, in both cases it was not a race and one did keep in mind that the ascent rate was to be no faster than 60’/min.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom