A tank for non-breating air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterwulf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a steel 72 that has a fresh Hydro test but has failed the Viz test. Is there a way to mark the tank so it can be pressurized but not used for breathing air? Like "paintball only" or "tire air only". I want to use it as an air supply on my RV on trips.

Why did it fail vis? How did it past hydro without passing vis? The vis is explicitly part of the hydro procedure.
Yeah, I asked that same thing of the shop that did it. It passed the Hydro and got the stamped in numbers from the hydro shop but then when it was returned to the dive shop, they failed the viz. I was told by the guy there that "they do it that way so the customer can still use the tank". Please explain that to me if you figure it out. They did some other shaky stuff too so I no longer do business with them. I'm taking the tank in for a new viz but if it fails, I'd like to be able to get it filled and then use it for tire pressure on my RV. Is there a way to do that?

Why did it fail vis? How did it past hydro without passing vis? The vis is explicitly part of the hydro procedure.
Dive shops regularly fail tanks for non issues. The hydro visual is looking for defects that matter. Dive shops are looking for any defect at all.

If it passed hydro, it should have passed viz. I would get a second opinion.

If it failed viz for corrosion, it *should* be able to be tumbled. I don't think your neck threads would be compromised if they were able to perform the hydro.

All that being said, Trident does make a tank sticker "PAINTBALL USE ONLY" but not every dive shop is going to fill it -- as some people use those stickers in place of a certification card to attempt to get fills for diving. If you're going to use the tank for your RVing, there are companies out there manufacturing tire inflators that attach to your LP hose on your 1st Stage. As well as air guns. Could make a handy little kit.

A shop won't fill it without a VIS for there safety, not yours.
Pass hydro, should pass VIS. Need what part of there VIS didn't pass, not the reason they will sell you a hydro without a VIS. At this point, take your fresh hydro and leave. Find another shop to do the VIS and hopefully get a better idea of what is really happening.

First, I agree that this does not make sense.

Next, it does not matter what the tank is used for after it is filled. If it did not pass inspection, it is because it is considered not safe to fill it, not because the gas is unsafe to breathe after it is filled.

Back
Top Bottom