A tank for non-breating air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, I agree that this does not make sense.

Next, it does not matter what the tank is used for after it is filled. If it did not pass inspection, it is because it is considered not safe to fill it, not because the gas is unsafe to breathe after it is filled.
Or because the shop is making up policies that it wont fill tanks older than 19xx

The shop gave me zero paperwork when I picked the tank up. Nothing, not even a receipt for my payment. There was a sticky note on the tank which said "Condemned. Rusty" but the shop guy took it off and kept it. I was NOT impressed at all and will never return there. This was the second tank that they checked for me. The first one did not pass anything because they didn't do any tests! I was told that it had rust on the exterior of the tank near the top so it was condemned without opening it up. No paperwork or receipt of any kind for that one either. I knew that one was slightly rusty patches on on the exterior but does that alone disqualify it? The second tank looks very nice with no rust or dings on the exterior anyplace. I really expected that one to pass.

I am not a tank Viz Inspector but I have a lot of experience working with metal. I opened that tank up and inspected it with a "remote eyeball" watching the screen for anything besides metal. I saw nothing that jumped out at me but like I said: I'm no Inspector. This is the one that passed the Hydro but failed the Viz. When I asked why they did the Hydro first on this one, I was told "We do it that way so the customer can still use the tank". Say what? Use it for what? I got no response when I asked why they did the other one differently. When I asked for more details on what part of the Viz failed, I got a blank stare after a glance at the crumpled up Sticky note.

That was about when I reached my end point and demanded a refund, which I got. Do shops normally behave this way for tank testing? No paperwork, no receipt and weird explanations? Sticky notes for test reports? Is this shoddy procedure standard? For the price I paid, I expected a printed report or at least something more than a Sticky note which they kept anyway.

Do shops normally behave this way for tank testing? No paperwork, no receipt and weird explanations? Sticky notes for test reports? Is this shoddy procedure standard? For the price I paid, I expected a printed report or at least something more than a Sticky note which they kept anyway.
Yes, sadly. That is more the norm than the exception.
I keep all of my hydro and inspection paperwork for 7 years. I don't hand it over to the customer, but if they want to see it or take a copy, they are welcome to it.

Dive shops regularly fail tanks for non issues. The hydro visual is looking for defects that matter. Dive shops are looking for any defect at all.
Yes I know that. I'm pushing the OP to explain what issue is supposedly going on that recently requalified tank can't be (re)filled. Sounds like the dive shop is just arm waving but perhaps its 6351 aluminum and they have a "no tanks over X years policy"?

The shop gave me zero paperwork when I picked the tank up. Nothing, not even a receipt for my payment. There was a sticky note on the tank which said "Condemned. Rusty" but the shop guy took it off and kept it. I was NOT impressed at all and will never return there. This was the second tank that they checked for me. The first one did not pass anything because they didn't do any tests! I was told that it had rust on the exterior of the tank near the top so it was condemned without opening it up. No paperwork or receipt of any kind for that one either. I knew that one was slightly rusty patches on on the exterior but does that alone disqualify it? The second tank looks very nice with no rust or dings on the exterior anyplace. I really expected that one to pass.

I am not a tank Viz Inspector but I have a lot of experience working with metal. I opened that tank up and inspected it with a "remote eyeball" watching the screen for anything besides metal. I saw nothing that jumped out at me but like I said: I'm no Inspector. This is the one that passed the Hydro but failed the Viz. When I asked why they did the Hydro first on this one, I was told "We do it that way so the customer can still use the tank". Say what? Use it for what? I got no response when I asked why they did the other one differently. When I asked for more details on what part of the Viz failed, I got a blank stare after a glance at the crumpled up Sticky note.

That was about when I reached my end point and demanded a refund, which I got. Do shops normally behave this way for tank testing? No paperwork, no receipt and weird explanations? Sticky notes for test reports? Is this shoddy procedure standard? For the price I paid, I expected a printed report or at least something more than a Sticky note which they kept anyway.
I've had tanks (got free from LDS because of various reasons) that at first look seemed terribly rusty and not worth it - but after a good tumble they look great inside - no deep pits, just what looked like lots of rust. Tumble it out, and have a decent vis shop take a look.
If you can find a shop that will plus the old tank (on hydro) - even better. The only one I found is over 3 hours away and they had a change of staff and I'm not sure they will do that check anymore.

Yes I know that. I'm pushing the OP to explain what issue is supposedly going on that recently requalified tank can't be (re)filled. Sounds like the dive shop is just arm waving but perhaps its 6351 aluminum and they have a "no tanks over X years policy"?
He did say steel 72 so that rules bad alloy out. My guess is, "old tank, he should buy a new one"

My guess: old steel tank with a bushing......
72s were scuba specific. Wouldn't have ever had a bushing.
I do still have a few of the old fire bottle scuba conversion tanks around.

Pretty sure I've seen this thread before...

These wouldn't happen to be the same steel 72s you picked up on the side of the road for free, would they?

Back
Top Bottom