a test, whats wrong with this story?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rookie_J

Reaction score
found this story at another community. is he trying to sound intelligent or cool?

"Day 4
The gang wanted to beach it again, so I snorkeled over to Grand Lido Negril & met up with the dive boat captain. For a small fee I was off on a two tank dive with the dive master. What a blast, as I was the only diver on the boat other that the dive master. I got my deep water specialty with a dive to 140 ft. Never been that deep before & will not do it again as it was quite a short dive. The second dive was excellent as we had the dive boat captain join us. We met-up with a pair of Dolphins at depth of 90ft. Wow they were neat!"

:06:

Rookie_J:
found this story at another community. is he trying to sound intelligent or cool?

"Day 4
The gang wanted to beach it again, so I snorkeled over to Grand Lido Negril & met up with the dive boat captain. For a small fee I was off on a two tank dive with the dive master. What a blast, as I was the only diver on the boat other that the dive master. I got my deep water specialty with a dive to 140 ft. Never been that deep before & will not do it again as it was quite a short dive. The second dive was excellent as we had the dive boat captain join us. We met-up with a pair of Dolphins at depth of 90ft. Wow they were neat!"

:06:

This sounds like what my dad would call "malarkey"! LOL

1- DM certifying?
2- 140 ft?
3- What training on top of just doing a dive?
4- 3 divers on dive #2? Buddy system?
5- Who was watching the boat?

Geez...

lol That is hysterical! Sure this wasn't written by a member of the media? All this story needs is a mention of how when he got on the boat, they had an OXYGEN tank all ready for his first dive.

Rookie_J:
The second dive was excellent as we had the dive boat captain join us!"

What a treat.

I believe it, but guess several details were omitted, like the presence of a mate on the dive boat, who the certifying instructor was (or if the "DM" was actually an instructor working on a dive boat), etc.

Santa:
"The second dive was excellent as we had the dive boat captain join us!"

What a treat.
What's funny is that, while at first glance the story as a whole is not very believable, I have myself done a few of those things.

One morning I showed up for a dive with a commercial dive op on Cudjoe Key (previous owner). It was just me, the Capt and a mate. With my agreement, all three of us went for a dive on the Busch, leaving the unattended boat moored to the wreck. The only unbelievable part of the dive is that as I circled around the bottom of the stern, I found the mate just lying on the sand, watching a Goliath Grouper. It turns out that he forgot his weight belt, so figured it would be better to stay in one place until he went up up the line!

Snorkeling over to the dive boat isn't by itself unbelievable -- I've done that from La Ceiba to DiveWithMartin in Cozumel. Actually, I had on a BCD and everything but tank and lead, but it was kind of snorkeling.

Dophins at 90' -- well, I've played with them on the surface and at 30', but no reason not to believe 90'.

140' -- well, in that case he flunked the buoyancy and dive control section fo the cert and shouldn't have passed. Yep. Totally unbelievable.

"4- 3 divers on dive #2? Buddy system?" Umm. Huh? I've gone diving with 2 other buddies. I've been in 3 person teams. I've been in a group of 3 that kind of were in the same area of the ocean. Nothing remarkable there.

"DM certifying" -- lots of DMs actually have instructor certs.

-------

Maybe I've just had too many weird experiences. I fail the test.

Rookie_J:
is he trying to sound intelligent or cool?

....over to Grand Lido Negril....

The stated location would preclude either possibility. :wink:

I'm thinking after he got down to 140' he was too NARC'ed to remember the rest of the details.

where does a snorkler carry enough cash to cover a spur of the moment dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom