A very bad week in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading all of this mess that was posted...it sounds like this guy just wanted a card.

I especially like this line:

"Because of this lack of support I knew by day 2 that he was going to fail to get me through the course."

I guess the instructor was responsible to drag his butt through the course. What ever happened to the student earning the certification :huh:

I'll have to admit with the instructor looks bad for continuing with dives in the caves when it is clear the dives should have been concentrating on skills in OW. That probably won't ever happen to this instuctor in the future. At least not to this extent. Even worse are the responses with no supporting evidence like "Liar, liar, pant's on Fire." Obviously not the mental attitude needed for cave diving. Sounds like someone needs some growing up to do before considering more serious dives.

SparticleBrane:
After reading all of this mess that was posted...it sounds like this guy just wanted a card.

SparticleBrane:

No matter. He still should have been treated respectfully. In light of the instructor posting, I think it showed even more that the original OP had his techniques/attitude as an instructor pegged perfectly. Remember, that is just my personal opinion.

In the end, this will serve to assist another in choosing their instructor. As someone else said, they like the military style of being berated - so may someone else. Now they will know who to go to.

I for one am glad he named names. And although I am not interested in IANTD's cave program, CI sounds like the kind of instructor I want teaching the people who I may share caves with in the future. If only passing by and waving as whomever yields to the exiting team. Through the clear unsilted water, and so I don't see hand or fin prints...

I am saddened to see even the training caves damaged by inadequately prepared students. I hope CI has less patience for poor kicking skills and bad bouyancy in the future.

Missdirected:
In the end, this will serve to assist another in choosing their instructor. As someone else said, they like the military style of being berated - so may someone else. Now they will know who to go to.

I suspect the OP would have been "berated" by anyone pointing out his deficiencies - they are rather glaring even by his own account.

I would bet that the "berating" was just "getting on my case" and not actual berating.
It just sounds like the OP is whining, if you ask me. "Mom, he called me names!!" :crying:

From what little I know of OW instruction, I believe the rule is never criticize without praising as well. We wouldn't want to discourage anyone :)

Cave instruction, it seems, should be more drill-sergeant style. While cave diving isn't nearly as dangerous as being a marine in Iraq, I believe there are enough dangers over OW that a little harsher teaching style is warranted vis a vis other recreational instruction.

loosebits:
From what little I know of OW instruction, I believe the rule is never criticize without praising as well. We wouldn't want to discourage anyone :)

Cave instruction, it seems, should be more drill-sergeant style. While cave diving isn't nearly as dangerous as being a marine in Iraq, I believe there are enough dangers over OW that a little harsher teaching style is warranted vis a vis other recreational instruction.

Harsher is not the right word IMO. Honest appraisal of a students skills and performance - which in all likelihood will point out deficiencies. You can slag those failings off or learn from them. Slagging them off is a not the right attitude for an advanced diver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom