a VERY newbie.. need information 411

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaB704

Registered
Reaction score
hi everyone.. Im very interested in this scuba diving experience .. always wanted to see what was under water when i was little.. i have plenty of questions for all you experts.. first off..

what do i need to start scuba diving?...
i read through this message board.. and wondered alot.. such as..

what is BCD?.. stupid question but i am so scuba illiterate. lol
what is the price range to have a set?... everything and what kind of equiptment is prefered?.. what do i need... from head to toe lol?... well i hope you guys can pass the information to me.. and this place is relly cool.. learning more and more..

There is way too much information to attempt to tell you in a post. Go to a local dive shop or two and ask them about scuba classes.

MD

BC - Boyancy Compensator

You'll generally need a mask, snorkel, and fins(possibly boots) to participate in class. Everything else should be provided while learning in class, at which time you will learn what equipment you will need to purchase after your certification in order to make your own rig. You'll be able to rent what you need until you buy as well...

Go to your LDS (local dive shop) Many have "discover scuba" programs that you can try scuba. My advice, if you decide to continue diving, is to take your time before buying scuba equiptment - ie just because a dive shop says "this is the best of its kind" doesnt mean you have to buy it...

Visit a Local Dive Shop. Check out the prices on a personal equipment package. Buy a personal equipment package. See if
you like snokelling and work on your swimming skills using your personal equipment.

If you are still exicited and comfortable enroll in an Open Water Certification Course. Subscribe to Diver Training or Undercurrents.

Save up $2000. Cut up all your credit cards. Move to Florida.:)

Do not forget to check around with people who have been certified to find out who a good instructor is. You shouldn't worry too much about the agency unless you're the type of person that goes soley by brand.
You can also find out who is a good instructor by talking with them at the LDS. Ask questions! The more the better. If they answer them fully and to your satisfaction, seem knowledgable and patient, then they are probably a good instructor.
Go get wet already! :eek:ut:

i agree with all the replies posted...
you need not learn first about the different equipment...
first thing you should do is visit an LDS and ask about their dive courses...
in the class, unless the instructor is a total crap, any decent instructor would teach you everything you should learn about basic equipment and basic stuff pertaining to diving...
just keep an open mind and don't stop asking around...
i know you'll do well...

ScubaB704 once bubbled...
hi everyone
what is BCD?.. ..

SuPrBuGmAn nearly answered that question, except if you don't know anything, you may not realize that BCD and BC are the same thing. "Boyancy Compensator Device" - which we abbrevaite to BC so much that I had to stop and thing what the actual words were.

All the answers you've already been given were great. go ahead! Hock everything you own and jump in...

don

the only thing you need to start diving is the will to dive. find a dive shop and interview the instructor. You are the boss and trusting him with your life. Find a shop you feel comertable in not just one that is next door these people are going to open up a whole new world for you and you should feel comfterble asking them any questions:confused:

I am a college student in California. My state university has a Scuba class in the PE Department, (we call it Kinesiology here.) If you are able to do it, try taking a class at your local university. Sometimes junior-colleges have scuba classes too.

Back
Top Bottom