A year down the road, here is what I ended up with (cold water drysuit setup)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "second one" is not necessarily the "more expensive" option. The most expensive gear you can buy is the stuff you bought INSTEAD of what you should have bought, irrespective of price.

True that...

So far I have managed to minimise my losses on scuba gear by trying to future proof... I'll be in trouble though if this evo 2 drysuit turns out to be a piece of crap.

LOL @ wives comment.

I'm about to acquire my first wife. Are you telling me I need to go for the second option? I need to get a second option first!!

Damn, so much to learn on SB.

LOL @ wives comment.

I'm about to acquire my first wife. Are you telling me I need to go for the second option? I need to get a second option first!!

Tech Support Request:

Last year I upgraded Girlfriend 1.0 to Wife 1.0 and noticed that the new program began creating unexpected child processes that took up a lot of space and valuable resources. No mention of this phenomenon was included in the product brochure. In addition, Wife 1.0 installs itself into all other programs and launches during system initialization where it monitors all other system activity. Applications such as Pokernight 10.3 and Beerbash 2.5 no longer run, crashing the system whenever selected. I would like to go back to Girlfriend 1.0 but un-install does not work on this program. Can you help me?

- Jonathan Powell

Dear Mr. Powell,

This is a very common problem users complain about but is mostly due to a primary misconception. While the Girlfriend® suite of products are merely UTILITIES & ENTERTAINMENT programs, Wife 1.0 is an OPERATING SYSTEM and designed by its creator to run everything.

DO NOT try to un-install, delete, or purge the program from the system once installed. Trying to un-install Wife 1.0 can be disastrous and is likely to destroy valuable system resources. In fact most users report that half of their Microsoft Money accounts disappear when uninstalling Wife 1.0.

Some have tried to upgrade to Wife 2.0 but this program offers no additional features and in many cases users end up with more problems than with the original system. (Look in your manual under Warnings:Alimony/Child Support.)

Others have tried to run Girlfriend 2.0 in the background, while Wife 1.0 is running. However a system conflict regarding sharing of input devices will eventually occur and Wife 1.0 will detect Girlfriend 2.0, leading to a non-recoverable system crash. (Some users have reported successful downloaded of shareware products such as Fling and 1.nitestand, but these programs are notorious for carrying viruses.)

I recommend you keep Wife 1.0 and just deal with the situation.

- Tech Support

The yellow liners extend too far down the wrist, so I have to stuff the excess up inside the glove before I can mount the glove on the ring. It's not so bad, but I do plan on trimming the glove's cuff, once I find someone with a sewing machine. (I am sure that the knit will fray if it isn't stitched at the cut.)

Nice outline of your setup, thanks, Matt!

I like the yellow liners, too, especially when worn over lightweight close-fitting white polypropylene liners ($2.30 a pair at a commercial fishing supply house).

To narrow and shorten the wrists of the yellow liners, a serger machine will do a neat job to contain and secure the knit. You may have seen sergers, they're the ones have multiple spools of thread to feed the needles that close off the seam. Traps the knit, but allows stretching.

I left enough material to fold an inch over the arteries of the wrist. Very warm.

Dave C

Pic showing serged seams and both liners:

Glove_liner_serged_seams_R900_P1020002.jpg

Dave C

I was actually going to say serger but I didn't think anyone would know what that was. :) Nice job on your gloves!

How cold is your water? I find I don't need the liner in the yellow gloves at ~48F but that may be a personal thing.

I was actually going to say serger but I didn't think anyone would know what that was. :) Nice job on your gloves!

How cold is your water? I find I don't need the liner in the yellow gloves at ~48F but that may be a personal thing.

Thanks! I'll tell my sister-in-law you said so! :D

Marine water temp is still about 40F right now and I use double liners for anything below 45F, since I tend to get cold easily. :shakehead:

Otherwise I wear just the yellow liner for 45F to 60F.

Above 60F, I wear just the white liner or switch to 3mm neoprene. Great dexterity with the light liner! Better than with 3mm neoprene, IMO.

Of course, I switch from the original Atlas 495 glove to the closer-fitting 660 when going with lighter liners, but I make sure there's no restriction of circulation.

Thanks again for the details on your setup! It's always nice to see what's working for someone else! :)

Dave C

40F, I'd like to try that. :) No wonder you are doubling up liners. Seattle doesn't seem to get below 45F at the worst.

In summer when the water is 55F, I may use thin neoprene gloves like you do. 2mm tropical style, actually. Warm enough.

40F, I'd like to try that. :) No wonder you are doubling up liners. Seattle doesn't seem to get below 45F at the worst.

It is nice to know just how well one's system works!

Since your marine water temps are so stable in that narrow range, how about getting down into a deep hole in Lake Washington? Probably find 39F near 100', I'd guess. Does it ice over?

Or try it during a cold snap after a frigid on-shore wind blows ice water into the shallows.

That might get you into the mid-30's to really test your system! :D

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom