Ab diver Missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that its glad news, when they recover the remains. Better closure for the family and friends. Better analysis of what actually happened. It would have been worse had there been no recovery. Of course, it was sad news when the diver became missing. My condolences to the family and friends.

From the stats in humanFish's citation supra, that comes to once in every 3 years for a north coast shark bite, for all divers and surfers, and once in 50 years for a shark bite fatality. In other words, the fatalities are extremely rare, whereas the encounters are not infrequent.

The surfers and freedivers are those who seem to be most at risk. Scuba divers who avoid the surface would hardly be at risk at all, from the looks of things.

Chuck Tribolet:
Could you post a link to the newspaper article? Or at least
the name of the paper?

Chuck, I am a friend of Brandi Easter's. I know she is out on a boat currently and I plan to meet up with her to Ab Dive in Van Damm this weekend. I wondered if you can confirm the loss of Randy Fry and if so, was he a good friend of Brandi's? I would like to put my plans in perspective to meet up with her this weekend and also would like to know if someone may have already communicated via ship radio to Brandi about Randy.

Please advise. Thanks.
Donna

Randy Fry's body was recovered by the CG yesterday,
according to multiple news stories. No question that he's
gone, and a very large shark (probably GW) did it.

I don't know Brandi or Randy, so I have no idea whether she
knew him or not, nor whether anybody has commuicated with
whatever ship she's on.

There are at least three threads on this incident on SB. I was glad to learn that the individual attacked was free diving for abalone and not SCUBA diving (poaching) as seemed to be suggested in early accounts. I confirmed that today with one of my buddies who works for CDF&G.

My condolences to the diver's family and friends.

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom