Abalone and Lobster Poaching Cases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
By California Department of Fish and Wildlife
Over the Sept. 26 weekend, wildlife officers on the patrol boat Thresher cited three recreational divers for poaching off Catalina Island.
The first citation occurred Saturday when officers made contact with a diver on a sailboat near the Howland’s Landing camp. They found him to be in possession of two green abalone, a spiny lobster and an undersized kelp bass. This area is part of a State Marine Conservation Area (SMCA), where no invertebrates may be taken. The diver’s gear was seized and he was cited for take of abalone, take of spiny lobster out of season, take of an undersized kelp bass and take of invertebrates in an SMCA.
Sunday, officers contacted two scuba divers on a vessel. After speaking with the first diver on the boat, enforcement staff found six live abalone in a refrigerator. Officers then dove into the water with dive gear and observed the second diver putting an abalone in his bag. After wildlife officers identified themselves using a dive slate, the second diver then attempted to hide his bag under a rock.
One diver was cited for take of abalone and the second diver was cited for take of abalone, take of a lobster out of season and attempting to destroy evidence. All of their catch and dive gear were seized. In all, the two divers were in possession of 11 abalone: eight pink and three green. Pink abalone are more rare than green. This is the most significant pink abalone arrest in over 17 years. Fortunately, most of the abalone were still alive and the officers were able to reattach them to the reef. Unfortunately, three were cut badly from the poachers’ tools and could not be saved.
If convicted, all of the men cited for take of an abalone could face a minimum fine of $15,000 for each offense. For the lobster and other poaching, the men could face up to a $1,000 fine and up to six months in jail for each offense.
Since 1997, a moratorium has been imposed on the taking of any abalone south of San Francisco Bay. The open season for California spiny lobster for recreational fishermen is Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015 through Wednesday, March 16, 2016. It is essential for divers and fishermen to obey the season closures for the lobster fishery as most females will carry thousands of eggs at this time.

12072720_942744762471658_7074603464295764098_n.jpg

12063796_942744765804991_5901785989005822553_n.jpg

I hope the vessels in both cases are seized... THAT would send a message. If CDF&W can seize a car used in transporting poached species, they certainly should be able to seize a boat. We've seen evidence of poaching both bugs and abs in the dive park which is also an MPA. A few idiots tried to use lobster traps (totally illegal period on this side of the island) and hoop nets INSIDE the park.

HATE seeing all that wildlife on the the deck, Yuck. 100 times more maybe really being poached?? Nuke those ignorant bastards! WTF?

I have jury duty again in a few weeks. Every time so far has been for an accused abalone poacher and was settled after sitting around for several hours waiting to be called in the courtroom. It is an industry up here on the North Coast.

I see alot of abs on Catalina now. I learned how to feed them so when I find one I usually grab a piece of kelp, if it can be found, and feed them. Very cool!....

Unfortunately due to the lack of giant kelp, the abs can't rely on drift kelp for a food source so they are coming out of the rocks in search of something to munch on... making them more vulnerable to poaching.

Back
Top Bottom