Abalone Iron, Aluminum or Steel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The abalone in deeper (>30ft) water usually hang on by 10% of the foot because they are feeding. I can just grab the shell and pull them off with a quick tug. The secret is not to come in too fast because they can sense water movement. Once you are on the bottom, just go slowly toward the abalone. Make a quick grab once you are in striking distance. It takes them 1-2 seconds to go to the clamped position. I usually still use the iron though. Takes under 1 second to slip it under and pry it off. I've gotten 3 big 8.5" ones on 1 dive to 35 ft.

bober99:
The abalone in deeper (>30ft) water usually hang on by 10% of the foot because they are feeding. I can just grab the shell and pull them off with a quick tug. The secret is not to come in too fast because they can sense water movement. Once you are on the bottom, just go slowly toward the abalone. Make a quick grab once you are in striking distance. It takes them 1-2 seconds to go to the clamped position. I usually still use the iron though. Takes under 1 second to slip it under and pry it off. I've gotten 3 big 8.5" ones on 1 dive to 35 ft.
No offense, but if you are diving in 30 ft. of water I hope you are pulling (w/ or w/out an iron) bigger abs than 8.5.

I've never used aluminum ab bar because I know it is a very soft metal and I'd imagine after a few seasons it would begin to show significant wear, and I've heard they can bend or just break. (remember, if your tip wears down to an edge of less than 1/16" you can get fined) I only used the National Divers stainless steel ab iron with the shovel nose and the slight bend down the center to make it more rigid (until I made my own ab iron). As for the leaf spring homemade ones, they do bend, they just spring back to their original position, the spring action may in fact decrease your leverage if you were to ever really need a lot of leverage, and they rust so keep them out of your dive bag or you'll get rust on your gear.

Yes indeed, usually the abalone just pop right off if you get under them quick enough, but one 10"er I came across was in a hard to reach spot and he clamped down before I could pop him off easily. Usually I just let them be after that because I don't want to hurt them and there are plenty more 7-9"ers out there, but I was determined to get this trophy. I struggled with it for about 15 minutes and actually ended up bending my iron. I didn't think it was possible. After that I gave up. Hopefully he's alright. I then decided to make my own since metal work is what I do. Now it is kind of my obsession. My design is stainless steel with 2 90 degree tapered bends on the edges, coming down to a flat shovel nose on one end and a rounded handle on the other. I haven't tested on a scale to see how many pounds of pressure it will take (anyone know how to do that?). But it is for sure much stronger than the one I bent. My prototype is almost perfected and once it's done I'd like to try to sell these. If anyone out there has a shop or would like to see some photos, shoot me an email. dromo1@sbcglobal.net

Back
Top Bottom