Weight distribution with a lightweight backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terramar

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to move from a scubapro Litehawk (backinflate) jacket to a backplate and wing.

I've had only a few dives with a steel backplate and wing. It was in warm water, with a 3ml suit, and I had an extra kilo of weight in pockets for excellent weighting, but I suspect that in time, I wouldn't even need the extra weight.

One thing I appreciated was that feeling of having the steel weight spread evenly over my back - it was like it was a part of me, and I felt very well balanced.

But I travel all the time, and was considering a light-weight backplate instead - titanium, carbon fiber, aluminum - I haven't decided which yet.

But with any of those, I'll have to add weight somewhere - probably via pockets on the cam band, or something attached to the plate.

My question for people who dive both heavy steel and lightweight backplates - do you feel a difference in your trim and comfort between the two options? Does it feel as balanced and secure?

With my AL plate and AL80, I use weight in 2 trim pockets on the upper cam band (right against the plate) and two trim pockets on the waist belt (also against the plate). Very stable.

Best part about a backplate is you can customize it as much or as little as you'd like. I travel with an aluminum backplate, and drilled a couple extra holes so I could mount trim pockets directly behind my shoulders, as that provided the most satisfying trim spreading lead between hips and shoulders. I also love not having to deal with any lead on the cam bands during tank changes. For me, extremely stable too since all the lead is below the tank and wing. That might be awful trim for you based on your weight and configuration, but you can find something that works great for you.

If you don't mind having a separate travel plate versus what you'd dive back home, there is a certain efficiency to traveling with less weight and just using the lead on the boat to make up the difference.

I am sure if you don't mind spreading the weight around, all things being equal you could make an aluminum plate dive identically to the same shaped steel plate.

$100 USD for an aluminum backplate. Put the lead they give you at your destination anywhere you want. You have to do the experiments about where to put it yourself to perfect your weight distribution.

Like @Badger7 I put pockets high up on the corners of the plate that will hold a 2 or 3 pound weight each. I also put weight in 2 pockets that will hold 5 pounds each on the upper cam bands.

No weight for me in waist pockets.

Specific advice for AL plates.

If you want some ditchable, keep the two trim pockets on the upper cam band but put the bottom two on your waist belt so you can pull out the weights if needed.

I liked the trim pocket location on my LiteHawk, so I went with a Helium Dive plate and weight pockets. The slots in the plate are nice for mounting trim weights, but an aluminum plate would have been the same weight and 1/3rd the cost.
IMG_1852.jpeg

I don’t notice a difference (in terms of trim) between steel and aluminum plates, but the steel is for cold water (typically dry with steel tanks) and the aluminum is warm water (wet with aluminum tanks). Weights go in pockets on the cam bands. I used to tie wrap weights to the plate but found the pockets more convenient. Make sure to slide the pockets all the way to the plate to lower CG/reduce roll.

With my AL plate and AL80, I use weight in 2 trim pockets on the upper cam band (right against the plate) and two trim pockets on the waist belt (also against the plate). Very stable.

Specific advice for AL plates.

If you want some ditchable, keep the two trim pockets on the upper cam band but put the bottom two on your waist belt so you can pull out the weights if needed.
Agree with both of these. I like to have a little ditchable weight, and the waist pockets allow for that, as well as for trimming out nicely. You can get a well made and inexpensive AL plate here:

Backplates and Accessories

I have 2 of the aluminum and 1 of their steel, and have been using them for about 13 years. No need to pay outrageous prices for them. You can take these suggestions as a starting point, but ultimately you will have to experiment a little and find out what works for you with regard to proper weighting for NB and trim. With a steel plate I use 2 1# in the upper tank band pockets snugged right up to the plate, and 2 1# weights in the waist pockets. With the AL I use 2 3# weights on the tank band, and 2 1# on the waist. This is with a full 3mm wetsuit and aluminum tank.

With my aluminum backplate for travel, I have two weight pockets on the cam bands. I install the cam bands in opposite directions so that one fits snug to the plate on the left while the other is on the right.

With my aluminum backplate for travel, I have two weight pockets on the cam bands. I install the cam bands in opposite directions so that one fits snug to the plate on the left while the other is on the right.
Two pockets on each cam band, or one on each? Not quite following your description.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom