About time for Advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The subject says it all!! After diving since 85 I'm biting the bullet and taking my AOW at the Blue Grotto tomarrow. Hope I will pass!! Anybody else dive this spring??

Good luck! I'm another old timer who finally got around to taking my AOW. I took the class last fall, and I'm waiting for warmer water to do the adventure dives (PADI).

I took the Peak Performance Bouyancy Class this week and am taking the Enriched Air -Nitrox Class tomorrow. When I do the dives for those specialities, they will count toward two of the five dive requirements for Advanced.

If you haven't been diving recently, it's a good way to get back into form and have a couple of instructors tell you how badly you're doing... and have a blast while it's happening.

tachyon

Good luck. You'll love it. AOW is a natural extension to diving - it shouldn't be treated as advanced but rather as something that gives you completeness of open water skills. The more you know the safer you'll be.

laserdoc:
The subject says it all!! After diving since 85 I'm biting the bullet and taking my AOW at the Blue Grotto tomarrow. Hope I will pass!! Anybody else dive this spring??
Enjoy. Its fun to enter The Learning Zone, and if your instructor is tuned in to teaching you can gain valuable insight into your diving.

As for Blue Grotto, its a wonderful place that many people overlook. The natural beauty is real, clear water, interesting geography, etc. The key to enjoying BG is to slow down. Look into the crevices, follow a couple of fish into the shallows - and attend to your buoyancy while you do that. When you cross the mounds of silt, practice different kicks so you don't create blackouts. Learn to helicopter turn so you can get into and out of some spots without disturbing the bottom or reverting to a stand-up position. The walls of BG are full of neat geo-finds, and will give you plenty of opportunities to combine neat sightseeing with the advanced skills divers should have to become skilled, low impact divers.

Enjoy - let us know how the class went.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom