Above-water Miami sightseeing recs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome, thanks so much everyone! The "lock your car" comment has me thinking - is a rental car recommended for a weekend stay, or is cab/metromover/etc. sufficient to hit the major sites? We love walking but realize that the temperatures are pretty high during the day.

it's not only hot in the day. It's ALL THE TIME "HOT & HUMID"
the heat is oppressive. 96* today.:cool2:

but I agree with CMinerva with highly recommending Joe's Stone Crab for dinner. GREAT FOOD.:D

If you're staying in South Beach and you want Cuban food without having to put on your vest and Glocks to go to Mi-jami, just wander over to Puerto Sagua on 7th and Collins.
Now that's Poo-air-toe Saag-Wha... not that Porta Sa-Goo-ah nonsense. Amazing it's still there in South Beach.
If you go to Joe's Stone Crab, go to the takeout section and save yourself a minor pile of dineros, unless you're one of them thar loaded hombre turistas.
Then take me to dinner too.

Puerto Sagua Restaurant - Miami Beach, FL

OK, 2 questions:

Solo?
Kids?

If not encumbered.....make sure you pass by Jimbo's for smoked fish, beer and bocce ball for at least 2 hours.

Chug

Now that's Poo-air-toe Saag-Wha... not that Porta Sa-Goo-ah nonsense.

When I visited Austin, I was told in no uncertain terms that Guadalupe was pronounced "GWOD-a-loop." And you'd love how some of the locals here say Vallejo :)

OK, 2 questions:

Solo?
Kids?

If not encumbered.....make sure you pass by Jimbo's for smoked fish, beer and bocce ball for at least 2 hours.

With GF...but smoked fish, beer and bocce ball? That sounds awesome!! It's gonna be a great weekend :D

What is the world coming to, Jimbo's has a web site. Too funny

Isn't it pronounced "Vah-LAY-hoe"- the new home of Marine World Africa USA?

Yep, although you still here "Valley-Joe" every now and then. Marine World's been there for as long as I can remember, since the 80s I think. It's now a Six Flags park; I've never been there, but occasionally see big rig flatbeds on the highway carrying huge, brightly colored steel tubes for the roller coasters.

I'm dropping off the rabbits and flying out tonight. Thanks again for the recommendations everyone!

One more thing, if you do have a rental car, leave NOTHING in plain sight when you park it and leave it!!! I mean NOTHING. They'll break your windows for a quarter or a pack of cigarettes, let alone a purse or phone or GPS.

Also when you put gas in it lock all of your doors. It is a very common crime here for someone to be pumping gas and a criminal opens a door on the other side, swipes a purse and runs like hell or drives off like a madman.

But don't let my warnings discourage you, you're going to have a GREAT time, I'm just wanting you to be careful while you're here, it would totally suck to be a crime victim and it is largely preventable. The criminals are counting on your being distracted by your vacation and your coming from an area where you don't have to be careful.

And two thumbs' up for Jimbos. :)

One more thing, if you do have a rental car, leave NOTHING in plain sight when you park it and leave it!!! I mean NOTHING. They'll break your windows for a quarter or a pack of cigarettes, let along a purse or phone or GPS.

Thanks for the tip. I've been told in some places to leave nothing in the car, and just keep the doors unlocked or windows rolled down. I guess this prevents damage from petty theft attempts, but may make it easier if someone wants to jack the entire car.

Either way, point well taken!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom