Above-water Miami sightseeing recs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd still lock it and leave the windows up. If they see nothing of value they will move on to the next car. Unless you are driving a convertible. My Miata's top was cut last year and they took two pair of prescription eyewear. Whodathunk they would go after that? I learned from an optician that they can get a $5 crack rock for a pair of specs. So don't even leave your sunglasses.

But you are going to have fun, I hope you don't think I mean gloom and doom, I just mean to say be sensible and have a blast!!!

Brian, Debby, why in the heck have we not ever had a meeting of some sort at Jimbo's? :confused:

We need to get on the stick, when "THE MAN" moves on thay are going to torch that place with everyone in it. :depressed:
And when they try I WILL EXERCISE MY SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHT!:biggun:

Well, maybe not....but it is going to be a sad, sad, sad day.

Chug
Currently addicted to smilies

Hey everyone,

I'm back, and had a great time. Thanks again for all the help planning my itinerary, we totally pulled it off, and the GF even complimented me on hitting everything on our list!

Here's what we did:

Saturday:
-Sampled cafecitos, guava con queso pastries and croquetas at maybe 3-4 places in Little Havana.
-Visited Vizcaya Mansion.
-Tried to go to the Venetian Pools (waited 30 minutes, no parking, so we bailed)
-Went to Jimbo's (more below)
-Hung out around South Beach
-Had dinner at a Nuevo Latino restaurant
-Strolled around Lincoln center
-Cocktails at whatever hotels we could get into

Sunday:
-Breakfast at Versailles
-Day trip to Ft. Lauderdale
-Detour as I was drawn like a moth to the huge Divers Direct building off 95.
-Snacks at Puerto Sagua
-Art deco district drive-by
-More food at La Carreta

I have to say, Jimbo's was the most memorable destination on the trip. The girl collecting the beach fee at the gate really tried hard to steer us away, something about, "it's not really a restaurant, it's a...place. It's not somewhere 'people' go. It's not...you know, hygienic." LOL. So with expectations fully set, we drive in. Find it, and immediately fear for our lives. There are locals, and then there are locals. The guys here were the latter type. Guys and gals watch us as we tentatively walk around looking for the "register" or "storefront." We get scoffed at by the guy manning the beer (sheesh, more tourists!), grab a pound of marlin and a couple of beers, and sit on the back dock looking for manatees or the saltwater croc, neither of which shows up. The fish came in a plastic bag, was still warm from the smoker, and was SIMPLY AWESOME. We then sat and watched half an hour of bocce ball played by some guys who have obviously had LOTS of practice (amazing), and who were totally friendly and gave us tutorial about how to play, etc. We walked around 4-5 indifferent cats on the way back to the car, which was, just as amazingly, still there (we left nothing in it at all just in case) and not on cinder blocks, and drove by the sewage processing plant on the way back out to the city.

Now that's a story I can have fun telling! If I'm ever back, I'm gonna bring a cooler and pack some fish to travel.

Gombessa;
Let it be known, now and forever more, that you had the STONES to go to Jimbo's!!
I am so happy that you "GOT IT". That place is not for everyone......just the cool kids.
Also let it be duly noted that IT WAS MY IDEA FIRST!
Hee Hee Hee...
Chug

Sorry for zombie resurrection:
But as a new local, let me say Jimbos is my second home and when Im off work Im either there or wearing my Jimbos hat! Its definitely going down hill so I think we need a local scubaboard meet up there : ) ex. There is no city power or shrimp anymore..

(His 84th bday a few weekends ago was insane!)

Sorry for zombie resurrection:
But as a new local, let me say Jimbos is my second home and when Im off work Im either there or wearing my Jimbos hat! Its definitely going down hill so I think we need a local scubaboard meet up there : ) ex. There is no city power or shrimp anymore..

(His 84th bday a few weekends ago was insane!)

Downhill to where?? Mexico?? Cuba??
That's pretty funny, turning the power off was an upgrade :)

The place is still way cool though.

Just saw this thread...and nobody sent him to Haulover to watch the volleyball games?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............

Thats a see-kret!!

Chug
Likes the ladies from wherever they might come from.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom