Abysmal

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by Nathan, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Nathan

Nathan Angel Fish

Abysmal. Has anyone used their computers. seems like a pretty good little box. but new hence failure prone????????

2. Mario S Caner

Mario S Caner Member

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Not at all, their computers are awesome. They've been around and have been used in certain "extreme" diving circles for years now and have been bullet proof.

3. Nathan

Nathan Angel Fish

Mario, The one thing that I wasen't able to figure out from their web site was is it Air integrated because if it is I think I may choose that over the Aladin Uwatec Z O2. I called the number on their web site and talked to Chris. (its only about 20 minutes from my house.) he offered to give me a tour of the place and let me play with one of their computers for a while. I think that I might just have to take him up on the offer.

4. Mario S Caner

Mario S Caner Member

There currently is no such thing as an Air-Integrated Mixed-Gas dive computer. Your chioces are the Abysmal, the Dive Rite or the OMS computers. There's very little competition, and an even smaller market. The Uwatec computer is definitely an apple vs the oranges we've been talking about. What exactly do you intend to do with this computer?

5. Nathan

Nathan Angel Fish

I want it to make me toast in the morning before I go dive.. =-) But in all seriousness I want to get a computer that will allow me progress as much as possible with out switching computer systems the Abysmal supports air/nitrox/trimix. for about the same cost as the other computers that only do air/nitrox
    I would rather spend as much as nessacery <sp> now than purchase a computer and find out that I want a few more features in 6-8 months. I have already planned a few dive trips this year I figure that I will get in about 50-60 total dives this summer. (I have a lot of time off)My intention is to get in to tech diving and then take a rebreather course.

6. ericfine50

ericfine50 DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Mario,

Have you dove the explorer?

Eric

7. turnerjd

turnerjd Divemaster

If you are getting into rebreather, then you also need to look at the inspiration rebreather, and the computer designed for it (Buddy Nexus).

I think all the information is at
    http://www.apvalves.com

I suspect that different re-breathers need / operate with different computers, so it is probably worth catching the re-breather experts and talking to them before you buy a computer.

If I remember, the Nexus has two modes, constant FO2 and constant P02. This is something that no other computers that I am aware of do. It is also programable for mix changing during the dive, eg high %O2 for deco stops.

(Constant FO2 is air, nitrox or semi-closed rebreather, constant PO2 is closed-circuit rebreather)

It also will (unlike almost every other computer) let you change between modes in between dives, without waiting inordinate times.

If I can stop spending money on other things I will get one of these.

Just .02

Jon T

8. Nathan

Nathan Angel Fish

I haven't had time to look at all the specs but that computer costs about 1/2 of the models that I have been looking at.. Which worries me a lot. 4 models that I checked out were priced out at about 1000-1450$.. this one is 450$ As far as the rebreathers go when I get that far I will probably end up with a drager they seem to be the only one really in the competative market at least in colorado.
    Just a few thoughts for now.

9. Mario S Caner

Mario S Caner Member

Eric,
    No I'm afraid I've never had the explorer in the water.

Regarding Rebreathers:
    I strongly recommend that if you are interested in rebreathers, you check out Steam Machines they are outstanding units. They also sold like hotcakes at Dema which said alot to me... I've visited the Steam Machines manufacturing location in Southern California, and had the opportunity to meet Peter and Sharon Readey. They run an excellent facility and really know their stuff.

10. Nathan

Nathan Angel Fish

Mario,
    I am getting the impression that you own a dive shop????
    If so do you/do you plan to carry Abysmal products?

11. Mario S Caner

Mario S Caner Member

Though, I don't own a dive shop, I beleive that some day it's inevitable. I do however have alot of connections for gear including Abysmal. I'd be more than happy to help out!

12. ericfine50

ericfine50 DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Mario,

Thanks for the reply.

Take Care,
    Eric

13. turnerjd

turnerjd Divemaster

Why worry about the cost?

Yes, the computer isn't air integrated, so there are less bits to make,
    But, What is the difference between the most expensive and the cheepest Alladin computer?

It isn't the cost of making it. They are all made practically identically. You price your entry level at a nice profit, then as you add more SOFTWARE features you charge more.

What is different is the program that is loaded onto the computer. A lot of the computers from any one manufacturer are identical PCB's with different parts of the program activated / dissabled. V similar to how Intel used to make their processors. Doesn't pass the top spec? can we dissable parts and sell it a a lower spec?

When the Buddy Nexus was introduced they publicly said that they would price it according to how much it cost, rather than how much the market would stand. It helps that APvales are pretty much the UK equivalent of Scubapro, they have the BCD market pretty much sewn up in the UK, so have the money to develop products such as this - this is their entry level computer! (their more advanced one is only sold with the rebreather, it controlls the breathed PO2, and monitors decompression status)

For what its worth I think that this is an outstanding computer, and wouldn't hesitate to recomend it.

Jon T