Accelerated decompression on an argon mix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if all of that guy's recommendations are the best. Just a quick glance showed things like "switch off of helium as soon as you can", and 80% as a deco gas. Some of his points are spot on, but some is certainly questionable.

I don't know if all of that guy's recommendations are the best. Just a quick glance showed things like "switch off of helium as soon as you can", and 80% as a deco gas. Some of his points are spot on, but some is certainly questionable.

He's also color coding cylinders, using little reg covers and other such nonsense. The book was published in 2001-2 so all in all does not incorporate what are recognized as today's established "best practices" with helium or really anything else for that matter.

Nice! I wish I had seen that before I posted!

So the guy must be wrong because he's not using a Halcyon wing? If he's not doing it right he must be doing it wrong?

You can't dismiss a statement about the amount of He retention at certain point of the dive by referencing the colors of his regulators. If you are going to disprove a statement provide the scientific proof behind your reasons.

You can't dismiss a statement about the amount of He retention at certain point of the dive by referencing the colors of his regulators. If you are going to disprove a statement provide the scientific proof behind your reasons.

So far as I can see, the only ways to be rid of helium (that you breathed at depth) at 20 feet are
1) if helium is perfectly insoluble (i.e. never dissolves in your tissues), or
2) if you sit sufficiently long at and getting to 20 feet such that you saturate every tissue with a breathing gas that contains no helium.

His point may be that for most profiles that involve deep switches, you may be 'clean enough' such that the remaining helium doesn't cause any concern, but personally I see that as a "gee whiz" conclusion. I don't really care about the constituent gases which I still need to offload, I care about coming up safely.

So the guy must be wrong because he's not using a Halcyon wing? If he's not doing it right he must be doing it wrong?

What would be the point of that? Technical diving has thrived for years off of old wives tails and doing things "just because". God forbid anyone propose something new, I mean all the stuff we do today just popped out of thin air, right?? :confused:

Well, I just analyzed a profile using Buhlmann 20/85 GF, 300' for 30 on 10/70, with 190,120,70, and 20ft deco gasses.

At 30ft, only 3 of the 16 compartments are completely devoid of helium. Hows that? Not a single mention of Halcyon gear, DIR, my way is better than your way, etc, so get off of it. Like Rjack said, the best practices are different now than they were a decade ago.

Well, I just analyzed a profile using Buhlmann 20/85 GF, 300' for 30 on 10/70, with 190,120,70, and 20ft deco gasses.

At 30ft, only 3 of the 16 compartments are completely devoid of helium. Hows that? Not a single mention of Halcyon gear, DIR, my way is better than your way, etc, so get off of it. Like Rjack said, the best practices are different now than they were a decade ago.

but you did it with decoplanner and standard gases!
:p

Thank You. This is a much more appropriate way to dispute a statement. BTW, Buhlmann and the Gradient Factors were around a decade ago.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom