Accident at Cave Excursions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmokeAire:
I think the discs go when there is too much pressure, 5000psi I believe.

You put pure O2 up to 5000psi and it's not the burst disk you need to worry about. Most O2 "T's" tanks are delivered around 2200 psi to the shops. Boosting it to double that will create a tremendous amount of heat.

Please understand that the above has nothing to do with this accident.

While getting my tank filled with Nitrox a couple of days ago, my LDS owners ask if I had heard about an oxygen tank exploding in Florida cave country. I hadn't and search Scuba Board for info. Not seeing any here I did a web search and yes, it did happen.

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbc...040729&Kategori=LOCAL&Lopenr=207290346&Ref=AR

This incident resulted in death to the woman filling the tank and several injuries to others. From the article it appears that the tank was dropped and exploded.

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything more specific on how this happened so that knowledge can be passed on to other to keep this from happening again?

It is definitely a tragedy when anyone meets their death in such a manor but even more so when its within our diving community.

Man, that sucks! I hate speculating, so I wonder if they'll figure out what actually caused it? Maybe an old AL tank or it dropped while filling? Tragic no matter what.

I was having my O2 bottle filled at a LDS and the whip ruptured. It sent the bottle flailing like it was made of plastic. The gal still has the scar on her hand today. We were just talking about it the other day. It's unfortuneate that she has that to remember me by. I think a lot of take filling stations for granted.

got wind through an attorney that represents a number of dive shops in the keys, that it was an aluminum tank made before 1990, i.e., the cheap alloy...

Very sad.

My prayers go out to the family and friends.

I'll be patiently waiting for Curt's report back as to the probable reason for this accident. I hope the information gained will help enlighten us and prevent this from happening again.

SCUBAgator:
got wind through an attorney that represents a number of dive shops in the keys, that it was an aluminum tank made before 1990, i.e., the cheap alloy...

From another board...

It has been reported to PSI headquarters that the cylinder was manufactured by Luxfer in 1987, made from 6351 T6 alloy. Eyewitness accounts indicated that the cylinder had been dropped in the parking lot prior to being taken in for filling.

When this information was passed onto PSI Affiliate instructors, I requested that the source be identified and was told that the source(s) of these statements was credible and had first-hand knowledge of the incident.

I, personally, can not credit this information to any group or individual as the source, only that this is what is being reported to PSI instructors.

Chris

Marc

I have written to the author of this story, Ms. Ciotola, twice now to try to find additional details. Nothing so far. This is of interest because I own some Pre-86 aluminum tanks from Luxfer. Luxfer will do nothing for the end user who has a tank that fails inspection. Their claim is that the tanks were only waranteed for 10 years. When I bought them, there was no such claim. When I replaced two other tanks, I insisted that they not have the Luxfer name on them. When I received my two new Faber tanks, I learned they were inported by Luxfer. Very sad.

I anxiously await any additional details you can find.

i have tried to follow up with journalists on their stories as well, and i find that
they get the story for a day, file it, and never do anything about it again.

once the headline happens, they feel they've done their job.

Back
Top Bottom