Accident at Humber Bay, Toronto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Short of surf condition mentioned above, I would imagine most of the time it is better to be positively buoyant on entry, whether shore or boat. Is drysuit diving any different? (Is it harder to walk in an inflated drysuit?)
With a drysuit, there is "inflated" and there is "INFLATED". As shoredvr points out, you really want a minimum amount of air in the suit as a rule. Even when the suit is "completely" deflated, it will still be quite buoyant on it's own...

The key with ay entry is to be able to control your movements.... whether it be up, down or laterally.

An open drysuit around open water has great risk associated with it. It can become a lethal, deadweight if it is flooded...

Ayisha: from my point of view the report on this sad incident is quite informative. Thank you for your role in investigating this accident and producing a report.

I was involved in a dive charter boat capsizing, and it was very fortunate that all the drysuit divers had zipped up their drysuits on the way out because of spray from the waves. I shudder to think what might have happened if we had gone overboard with drysuits open... This report makes it clear that an assisting diver on shore should also have his or her drysuit zipped if there is any chance they may need to enter the water.

Absolutely. I'm sorry you went through that experience. It's lucky that everyone had their drysuits zipped when the boat capsized.

The OUC recommends that not only should drysuits be zipped up in/near water, but both/all divers be fully geared up and enter the water at the same time and be close by to be able to assist another diver if necessary.

Thank you, the investigation is complete other than the coroner's report on the cause of death, which had not yet been determined as of two days ago. The OUC will update as necessary.

I wish someone researched this better to provide details with a view to accurate recommendations for our diving.

Adam

According to the report, the incident happened on 4/13/12 (a mere 15 days ago). I'm not sure how much quicker it could have been done. When the National Transportation Safety Board investigates commercial accidents involving fatalities, it may take a YEAR(S) for the results to be released. This is called being THOROUGH as the findings may or may not result in litigation (though not designed to be). Investigators MAY release a PRELIMINARY finding at their leisure but, in my experience, many times don't.

I am appreciative of the quick work done and of the recommendations. I do not NEED to know all the details (though I may WANT them). I DO need the recommendations (thank you Ayshia and Board)

As an example to rush to judgment, anyone remember the Toyota "fiasco" with "stuck accelerators"? While the media crucified Toyota, the last NHTSA report (NHTSA-NASA Study of Unintended Acceleration in Toyota Vehicles | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)) was released in February 2011, which did NOT find the causes as listed by media. Some of the cases were from 2009----- 2 YEARS earlier.

Last edited:
In all fairness, the posts asking for more information were regarding the preliminary report that was published 5 days after the accident. It was, by necessity, very basic and included only what were known to be undisputed facts and recommendations to match. At that time, we had completed interviews with two police officers, the primary rescuer, the coroner, reviewed media coverage and had surveyed the scene. The Report is a living document and changes can be made at any time and are documented. Shortly after that preliminary report, the OUC recovered one of the victim's fins and interviewed the survivor, completing the puzzle. Therefore, the Report now includes more details since they have been corroborated.

Any idea what caused her to become unresponsive? What kind of drysuit was her husband using, front or rear zip? What kind of exposure protection was Elliot wearing during his rescue?

This may be an example where someone who is emotionally involved with the victim (the husband), does not make the best rescuer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom