Accident at Humber Bay, Toronto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, Stoo, I just saw that terrible news. My thoughts are with the family and friends.

How very sad for her family and diving community. Thoughts and prayers with her family.

My sincerest condolences and prayers to the family.

A couple of years ago, here in Seattle, a fellow died when he fell off some rocks he was walking on. The water there is only about ten feet deep, but our viz is often low, and his buddy couldn't FIND him until it was too late.

I NEVER walk into or out of the water on a shore dive without my BC fully inflated, and without having checked to be sure that my regs are working. I don't necessarily go in with my reg in my mouth, but I do in surf (and out as well). I also keep my reg in my mouth until I am ON the boat deck, even though I get some funny looks for it.

One of the most unnecessary ways to die diving is to have problems on entry or exit.

Agree, unnecessary but definitely a time of risk. I just got back to diving after an absence and on one of my dives I long stepped off the boat and only realised whilst submerged that I didn't have my reg in. It was no problem at all but if I had been doing a negative entry the first time I tried to breathe could have been interesting. Entry and exit are times to be cautious.

Finally condolences to the family, tragic loss :(

John

Such a sad story.

A couple of years ago, here in Seattle, a fellow died when he fell off some rocks he was walking on. The water there is only about ten feet deep, but our viz is often low, and his buddy couldn't FIND him until it was too late.

I NEVER walk into or out of the water on a shore dive without my BC fully inflated, and without having checked to be sure that my regs are working. I don't necessarily go in with my reg in my mouth, but I do in surf (and out as well). I also keep my reg in my mouth until I am ON the boat deck, even though I get some funny looks for it.

One of the most unnecessary ways to die diving is to have problems on entry or exit.

There is absolutely no reason why all divers should not enter and exit this way, all the time. Waves and surge in the Great Lakes are normally very manageable, but how many Great Lake shore divers never dive the ocean and never dive off a boat? Keeping your reg in your mouth and keeping your BC inflated is something that we can all do, all the time, and it may save a life now and again. Now, about making sure that your tank is on and keeping your octo bungee'd around your neck...

Such a sad story.

There is absolutely no reason why all divers should not enter and exit this way, all the time. Waves and surge in the Great Lakes are normally very manageable, but how many Great Lake shore divers never dive the ocean and never dive off a boat? Keeping your reg in your mouth and keeping your BC inflated is something that we can all do, all the time, and it may save a life now and again. Now, about making sure that your tank is on and keeping your octo bungee'd around your neck...

Here's my method for exiting a shore dive. When I get to waist deep water my mask is already on, reg in mouth, I stand sideways to the waves looking at the waves, I deflate fully my BC, quickly remove my fins holding them securely, and walk sideways like a crab towards the shore keeping my gaze on the waves.

If a big wave comes I stop and keep a wide sideways stance, body low, and put one hand over my mask. This method can take pretty good waves without falling, but if I do get knocked down I'll crawl out with the mask on and reg in mouth.

Deflating the BC is counterintuitive but important go get a more stable traction on the bottom. An inflated BC will lift you up with the wave like a cork and you lose all control. With the BC deflated the wave will wash over you, which is not a problem if the reg is in your mouth.

Most of the time when someone gets knocked down I see that their BC is fully inflated, which is a mistake IMO.

Most of the time when someone gets knocked down I see that their BC is fully inflated, which is a mistake IMO.

i have a hard time seeing the benefits of deflating my BCD, so if i get knocked down by a wave instead of floating i'll sink like a rock

And be able to crawl on the bottom somewhat stable as opposed to being rolled around onto and into stuff like a cork. But corks hit rocks much easier than a human head.

so Jim. you're saying too that is better to deflate the BCD?

haven't done any shore dives yet, so i want to learn the best/safest practices

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom