Accident at Humber Bay, Toronto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have a hard time seeing the benefits of deflating my BCD, so if i get knocked down by a wave instead of floating i'll sink like a rock

Just try both methods and you'll see that I'm right on this. We have some big surf here and I learned this method the hard way. However if you're diving Lake Ontario it does not really matter as there's no surf there to speak of.

Folks I don't know that there is any definitive evidence that this accident was the result of a failed entry or exit. I don't know that it wasn't mind you... I just don't think that there has been a clear report on what exactly happened.

FYI, the area in question was very calm, on the day of this mishap, and the shore is loose rock. I agree though, that with a shore entry, there is a lot to be said for getting in and getting down and out as fast as you can...

Generally, the Great Lakes don't have huge surf, but probably bigger than some might expect. I took this shot a few years ago near my place in Tobermory. Those cliffs are about 70' high.

tobermory 1.jpg

Hi there, the 2012 Incident Report is available now, both from the link above and on the OUC website at Ontario Underwater Council

A couple of years ago, here in Seattle, a fellow died when he fell off some rocks he was walking on. The water there is only about ten feet deep, but our viz is often low, and his buddy couldn't FIND him until it was too late.

I NEVER walk into or out of the water on a shore dive without my BC fully inflated, and without having checked to be sure that my regs are working. I don't necessarily go in with my reg in my mouth, but I do in surf (and out as well). I also keep my reg in my mouth until I am ON the boat deck, even though I get some funny looks for it.

One of the most unnecessary ways to die diving is to have problems on entry or exit.

Hey, you saying this before has saved my butt. I got hit with a wave on a breakwater and got knocked down. I couldn't get up, I was underwater, and my buddy was also struggling. (His head was above the waves.) Every time I got halfway up, another wave knocked me down again.

I remember thinking, "man, I'm glad I don't have a shell suit. It would be ruined."

It took about a minute to get up, and I'm not exactly a slouch physically. It was more amusing than anything else, but if I hadn't had a reg in I would have been in a Really Bad Situation pretty quickly.

oooh she passed away? :(

Just check the Ontario Underwater Council 2012 Incident Report at http://www.underwatercouncil.com/downloads/incident_reports/ouc_2012_scuba_incident_reports.pdf and it will be updated with a report and preliminary recommendations to prevent recurrence as soon as possible - hopefully by this morning.

Thanks Ayshia. The link is now working and I was able to download it to my iPad.

The vagueness of the report is disappointing, but I gather she was trying her new drysuit, had a heart attack and fell into the shallow water and drowned. Her husband was in his drysuit which was half-way on and flooded, which caused him to be in distress as well.

I wish someone researched this better to provide details with a view to accurate recommendations for our diving.

Adam

Thanks Ayshia. The link is now working and I was able to download it to my iPad.

The vagueness of the report is disappointing, but I gather she was trying her new drysuit, had a heart attack and fell into the shallow water and drowned. Her husband was in his drysuit which was half-way on and flooded, which caused him to be in distress as well.

I wish someone researched this better to provide details with a view to accurate recommendations for our diving.

Adam

A massive amount of research, interviews and documentation went into preparing the report. There is only so much that can be published. What is it about the recommendations that you find lacking? At this time, based on this accident, the recommendations are:

Before diving in unfamiliar waters, consult on all critical aspects of the dive and the location with a diver who is experienced with that site, and if possible, have that diver accompany you.

Buddy teams of divers should gear up together, and enter the water fully-geared up with regulators in mouths, etc., together.

Dry suit divers in particular should ensure their dry-suits are zipped completely closed before entering the water.

Divers should try out new equipment in a pool-like-setting before trying it out in open water (many retailers and clubs book pools for precisely this purpose).

Certain types of scuba equipment (e.g. dry suit) may be easier and safer to use with appropriate Instruction/Training beforehand. If you have any questions as to whether Instruction/Training might apply to your scuba equipment acquisition, ask your local scuba professional (Retailer, Instructor, etc.).

The OUC should look at better and more visible ways of communicating its Ontario Scuba Diving Incident and Prevention Report. <This recommendation was implemented in part by creating a direct-link icon on OUC&#8217;s home page on April 17th, 2012>.

This incident was similar in many respects to the fatality of Robert Cupick in 2006. See: http://www.underwatercouncil.com/downloads/incident_reports/ouc_2006_scuba_incident_reports.pdf

Unfortunately for most accidents, the recommendations to try to prevent recurrence are based on following many of the precautions and regulations that we learned during our training.

A massive amount of research, interviews and documentation went into preparing the report. There is only so much that can be published. What is it about the recommendations that you find lacking? At this time, based on this accident, the recommendations are:

Before diving in unfamiliar waters, consult on all critical aspects of the dive and the location with a diver who is experienced with that site, and if possible, have that diver accompany you.

Buddy teams of divers should gear up together, and enter the water fully-geared up with regulators in mouths, etc., together.

Dry suit divers in particular should ensure their dry-suits are zipped completely closed before entering the water.

Divers should try out new equipment in a pool-like-setting before trying it out in open water (many retailers and clubs book pools for precisely this purpose).

Certain types of scuba equipment (e.g. dry suit) may be easier and safer to use with appropriate Instruction/Training beforehand. If you have any questions as to whether Instruction/Training might apply to your scuba equipment acquisition, ask your local scuba professional (Retailer, Instructor, etc.).

The OUC should look at better and more visible ways of communicating its Ontario Scuba Diving Incident and Prevention Report. <This recommendation was implemented in part by creating a direct-link icon on OUC&#8217;s home page on April 17th, 2012>.

This incident was similar in many respects to the fatality of Robert Cupick in 2006. See: http://www.underwatercouncil.com/downloads/incident_reports/ouc_2006_scuba_incident_reports.pdf

Unfortunately for most accidents, the recommendations to try to prevent recurrence are based on following many of the precautions and regulations that we learned during our training.

I can see a lot of research time and effort went into OUC's report but am I to assume this incident could have had a better outcome if her buddy had left his dry suit on untill they were both complety out of the water. With her having a heart attack her primary help was her buddy who was unable to assist her and even put himself in danger. This report at least answers my question as to why her buddy had a problem and needed rescue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom