Accident in Scapa Flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I don't know all the details but apparently a diver was run over by a dive boat during a 3m safety stop in Scapa Flow Scotland a couple of days ago. Police are on scene at the dive boat and are treating it as a crime scene. I don't believe the body has been recovered. Locals are not saying much about it at this time. The diver was not diving from the boat involved.

I was there diving the previous week. This is an awful thing to happen in a small community.

Hard to see how this could happen. Scapa Flow is huge and the area of the wrecks very large too. As you have to ascend up an SMB line, it is hard to see how such an accident could happen.

Note, I did not find anything about a diver been run over, but I did find multiple references to a diver missing from four or five days ago. See Major search and rescue operation under way for missing diver

PS I dived there for a week in 2013.

Hard to see how this could happen. Scapa Flow is huge and the area of the wrecks very large too. As you have to ascend up an SMB line, it is hard to see how such an accident could happen.

Note, I did not find anything about a diver been run over, but I did find multiple references to a diver missing from four or five days ago. See Major search and rescue operation under way for missing diver

PS I dived there for a week in 2013.
An article in the Orkadian confirmed the diver was considered deceased although they did not confirm the body had been recovered. I just left Stromness yesterday and I'm pretty sure of the accuracy of what I have posted. The victim was at a 3m safety stop and a boat that the victim was not engaged with was in the vicinity, presumably picking up their divers.

Back
Top Bottom