Accident Off Of Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCLESCERI

Reaction score
On Sunday November 25th, A Few Friends And I Were Out On A Boat Near Two Harbors, Catalina Island, When We Heard A Call Go Out To The Coast Guarg For An Airlift For A Dive Accident. We Could Only Hear 1/2 Of The Call, But It Sounded Like The Diver Was Using A Rebreather. A Little While After The Call For Help We Saw The Coast Guard Heli Land At The Chamber. About An Hour After The Coast Guard Heli Left A La County Sheriff Heli Landed And Seemed To Take His Sweet Time To Load Up And Leave. I Have Not Been Able To Find Anything Out About This Accident And I Am Hoping Someone Here Will Have Some Info. Anything Would Be Helpfull To Calm The Wondering Mind.

Thanks

I was off in Florida when it happened but I'll try to remember to check with the local dive community later today.

Thank you any info would be great.

Yes - the diver was using a rebreather but it was not a rebreather accident. Anyway he is in bad trouble, at UC?? and on a reseprator. The bad part, he is father of a 5 month old.

So sad :(

Please see FDOG's post below - he knows a lot more about it than I do

As in uncontrolled ascent or as in not enough deco time?

Within the limits of current medical knowledge, this was not a diving accident.

The only connection with diving is that the patient is is an instructor, and onset of symptoms occured on board a dive boat. The crew are to be commended in their handling of a medical emergency.

The patient is a very experienced pilot of a Megladon, and a RB instructor. He did do a single dive the day prior with the Meg; depth approx. 90' for 10 min. The Meg was examined several times and found to be in perfect working order. Again, although he did make a single dive, that has no bearing on this medical incident.

He has a wonderful 5 month old daughter, a loving wife and family, and a huge community that is pulling for him.

All the best, James

James, my best wishes for him and his family, but another poster said: "He came up way too fast from a long deep dive and showed problems almost immediately on Saturday." Would you like to clarify what did happen? This forum exists so we can learn from others.

wow. so the accident accually occured on saturday? symptoms showed up on sunday? does anyone know his dive profile for saturday? my prayers go out to him and his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom