Accident Off Of Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
James, my best wishes for him and his family, but another poster said: "He came up way too fast from a long deep dive and showed problems almost immediately on Saturday." Would you like to clarify what did happen? This forum exists so we can learn from others.

Can you point us to this post?

That was excerpted from DiverLS's post above, but it appears he has changed his? He didn't exactly say he was in error, just to "Please see FDOG's post below - he knows a lot more about it than I do"

That was excerpted from DiverLS's post above, but it appears he has changed his? He didn't exactly say he was in error, just to "Please see FDOG's post below - he knows a lot more about it than I do"

Ah....thought it might be in another thread here, or on TDS or RBW. Based upon what has been said, it sounds like a medical issue that coincidently occurred after diving. Given the frequency that some of us dive, that could apply to any/all of us!

I dont understand what there is to learn here! If it's a medical condition or a fast ascent..we all know that either of those causes can lead to big problems...so someone please tell me what we are learning???

I dont understand what there is to learn here! If it's a medical condition or a fast ascent..we all know that either of those causes can lead to big problems...so someone please tell me what we are learning???
The OP asked a question about the incident- we are learning the details about what happened to a fellow diver, although it is looking like it isn't dive related.

That's correct as I read it now. Post #4 was different when I first posted, since changed.

I do a dive the day before on my rebreather and go home and get a good nights sleep...the next day I get into a car accident on my way to the quarry and my rebreather is in my trunk...will this speculated as a rebreather accident?

As the only useful post so far pointed out...it was a non-diving medical emergency.

I wish him him the best, but seriously...

A mod should change the title of this thread because it does not seem to be true.

Whew. Sorry about the delay.

I'm very sorry that HIPPA prevents me from discussing the medical details. I, too, am a diver, and I also learn from the mistakes of others.

The single dive was a checkout dive for two other RB divers. After an initial descent to 30', with a planned pause to switch to 1.3, the diver experienced a feeling of shortness of breath at roughly 90', and switched to OC bailout. The feeling of shortness of breath continued, and after calmly indicating that the two other divers should buddy up and continue, he ascended with a BT of 10 minutes. Ascent rate (from the dive computer) was approximately 90 fpm. The diver signaled distress, and the safety diver swam out to him and gave him an assist back to the boat, where he climbed out on his own power and no longer had any symptoms. He spent the next hour on the boat checking the Meg, none found. Other RB divers also checked out the unit and found it to be perfect.

Of course it's all relative, but 90' for 10 minutes is not an excessive exposure by most standards, especially with a RB, and certainly incurred no deco obligation. 90 fpm is quick, but not unmanageable for an experienced diver, and we all have had portions of an ascent at this rate sometime.

There is some discussion that this dive, with its high ppO2, was beneficial for the patient.

In any case, the malady affecting this diver was found to be preexisting and simply ran its course during the time frame of the dive trip. It was not exacerbated by the single dive. Again, kudos to the crew for the way they handled the emergency.

I'm sorry I can't provide more details, but when I can, I will.

All the best, James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom