Accosted by a harbor seal - friendly, or territorial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeeAnne, we were on Santa Cruz Thurs-Fri & Sat. I swear I saw the same one, but he was kickin it in the kelp, smoking a cigarette and having a cocktail!

BAHAHAHAHA!!! Yes well, what can I say...a lively romp in the kelp with Charlie can have that effect on someone. :love4:

How likely are either to be dangerous, either intentionally or by accident?

I've never seen a problem with harbor seals, even the few that have been friendly. However, I've had sea lions nip at me, steal snorkels, grab my hoses, etc.

I was working for an eco-cruise line as marine biologist in the Sea of Cortez. The sea lions at Los Islotes were extremely playful there. We had a Hollywood director on board who was snorkeling above me as I filmed him. A sea lion jumped on his back and bit off a piece of his 3mm wetsuit. He was bleeding from the wound when I arrived topside. The director thought it was one of the most unique things that ever happened to him.

One does need to worry about a few diseases that sea lions carry that are transmittable to humans. I've never had one draw blood from me though.

I did have an experience there where a sea lion jumped on top of me as I was at the surface. I didn't have my fins on or my reg in my mouth. He pushed me down to 20 ft and it took a while to get to my reg as he was on top of my back. Without fins I couldn't kick back to the surface with him on top of me.

Thanks Dr. Bill. Good to know that we weren't in any real danger - at least, not of anything more than perhaps a pinniped love triangle! :wink:

I've had sea lions nip at my gear before, which is one reason I don't like to wear a snorkel - I have this fear of having my mask ripped off my face by surprise! The harbor seal was an entirely different experience - sea lions usually romp playfully, and rush up to you then away quickly. The harbor seal was right in our face for the whole dive, rolling around in front of us, on top of us, behind us...pretty much exactly like in that video Phil posted. That is some pretty interesting behavior! I feel fortunate to have been able to experience that...even though it was rather nerve-wracking at the time.

I stopped wearing a snorkel years ago for the same reason... pinniped theft! Also because it interfered with my videography when I was filming in recesses and small overhead environments.

Wow,
Whenever I hear of these harbor seal experiences, I get jealous. Ours just jump off the rocks and run (swim) away, and then poke their heads up, at 30 feet away, and stare. I have accidentally encountered them underwater, where we both exhibit a started jump and we swim away. :)

Newport/South Beach Oregon - jetty diving

I got nipped on the foot by juvenile harbor seal during a dawn patrol surf session at Upper Trestles a few months back. The little sucker snuck up behind me and gently clamped down my my left foot. No injury sustained (still in booties at time), but it certainly scared the $#!^ out of me. In fact, I'm pretty sure I screamed like a little girl :eek:

Over the course of the session, it appeared several times, and accosted several other surfers in the line up. Same MO ... sneak up from behind ...try to nip a foot or tug on leash. At the time, it seemed like it was it engaging in some sort of playful behavior.

In the Laguna Beach area, there are few harbor seals that are frequently encountered by divers during night dives. They've learned to seek out divers and use the lights to hunt their prey. A couple are quite large and certainly not shy about making body contact. Again, the behavior seems more social than aggressive.

The seals that we've encountered in the La Jolla Cove can be very interactive...often exhibiting amorous or playful behaviors. They love to nip your fins and then hide behind a piece of kelp. It's turns into an underwater game of hide-and-go-seek.

I'm not sure whether this specific behavior has anything to do with the animal's prior interaction with humans. Many of the seals residing in the La Jolla Children's Pool area were at one time released back into the wild by Sea World.

Back
Top Bottom