acending?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As JBD pointed out, if you are truly neutral, you can just ascend by changing lung volume.

I routinely do my ascents without ever touching my BC, and without finning.

Changing the amount of air in your lungs can change your buoyancy by several pounds.

You don't have to hold your breath --- just simply change your breathing pattern. For example, you can take extra full breaths, or just spend more time nearly fully inhaled.

Just DON'T CLOSE YOUR AIRWAY. (Don't close the glottis at the back of your throat, like you do just before coughing).

------------------

The above assumes that you are properly weighted and don't have much air in your BC.

If you have a lot of air in your BC, then you will have to vent it as you go up. Unless you are ending a dive with many pounds of air in your tank, you are overweighted if you need to have air in your BC at the safety stop.

So, are you guys changing the subject to just neutral bouyancy and flight control during the dive? Or are you telling this diver that started the thread to use breathing techniques to make his entire ascent from whatever depth. Not to use the fins or BC but use the lungs instead? I want to see how you guys teach this one day. Sit in on an open water certification. Watch the student make an entire ascent using nothing more than his or her lungs.

Boy that sounds goood doesn't it...?? Use your lungs for the ascent, I'll show you how!

If you're neytral and horizontal there isn't any reason to kick to begin an ascent. Simply arch your back a little slightly raising your head and shoulders. That will start you up. Use body position, breathing and venting of the bc to control the ascent while remaining horizontal.

Fin foreward or backward to adjust distance from buddy . In this position you can get to a buddy without having to change position before swimming.

It isn't hard to do or teach.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
If you're neytral and horizontal there isn't any reason to kick to begin an ascent. Simply arch your back a little slightly raising your head and shoulders. That will start you up. Use body position, breathing and venting of the bc to control the ascent while remaining horizontal.

Fin foreward or backward to adjust distance from buddy . In this position you can get to a buddy without having to change position before swimming.

It isn't hard to do or teach.

Now what you have said is to "begin an ascent". Okay..That's much much better.

I've taught the fin pivot for 7 1/2 yrs. now and it's a great teaching tool for intro. into neutral bouyancy. But that's WAY off topic here. The question involved the guys BC or kicking. Nothing more or less.

But teaching a student to do an enitre ascent using lung volume.....Good luck with your insurance if an accident was to ever happen. :)

is similar to the proverbial trip of a thousand miles. Its starts with the first step. To ascend 100 feet you must first travel the first 4 inches. That does not require the use of the power inflator or fins.

The person who asked the original question now has 4 methods of beginning and or maintaining an ascent. All will work although some will provide more refined control than others. The original poster is free to choose which ever method he prefers at this point in time. As his/her diving experience increase then the more refined techniques can be added if desired.

For the record, I can easily surface from 40 feet without ever releasing air from my BC. From 100 feet I do need to release some air since more was put in on the way down. I can stop motionless at any depth in 2 to 3 inch increments if I so desire.

I am NOT God's gift to the diving world. I am rather, just a plain old regular person with no more intelligence than the average person. I can do this because I want to and I have seen many others do it also. I have taught this to students and they pick it up quickly and relatively easily. It is not brain surgery or rocket science.

would you care to clarify what you are trying to say?

While it sounded at first that you would want to "hold" your breath to start the ascent. JBD clearly cleared it up with his practice and statement on ascents. I'm sure all methods are very safe when properly taught and properly applied or used.

Ok, I think I have it?.........Fill my BC to the max, take a deep breath, hold it, and fin like hell to the surface with my scooter on high. Got it. Now stop bickering. Oh by the way, I'm just kidding, because if I didn't clarify this, I know that this thread would have a thousand hits. Now lets move on. This thread is sounding more like a bingo site then a dive site.:D

jbd once bubbled...

I am NOT God's gift to the diving world. I am rather, just a plain old regular person with no more intelligence than the average person.

amen to that!! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom