Active diver re-certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No way. What might be reasonable would be for a club to require a certain amount of OW dive experience per year to maintain active membership. But a pool checkout? Ridiculous.

A few more details, we're semi land locked in Ga the closest place to get in the water is 3 hrs away, and then that's seasonal. This club also wants you to go on 3 dive trips a year with them. I myself do an equipment/buoyancy/skills poll session before every dive trip. My feelings are if you are an active diver with verifiable log book or computer. doing OW pool every year is a little unnecessary. This includes the swim float portion also. I was just wondering if I was over thinking the situation.

TS&M the pool session would only cost $10

So they want you to go on 3 dive trips a year for which you'll pay them a fee and then they want to charge you 10 dollars for a pool session.

-I think they are having a laugh .. at your expense!

There's nothing wrong with skills practice at any time but charging a club member for it makes me think they are being far too mercenary.

The way I read this was 25 dives/year is likely someone who doesn't live in a year-round diving location. So 12-13 days of 2 tank diving, assuming that you've got a vacation in there (you're probably doing 10 of your dives on that trip) and then six days throughout the year. Are you really so crisp that you can't use a $10 pool session?

I'm pretty rusty when I'm out of the water for more than a week... can't imagine taking a winter off.

The way I read this was 25 dives/year is likely someone who doesn't live in a year-round diving location. So 12-13 days of 2 tank diving, assuming that you've got a vacation in there (you're probably doing 10 of your dives on that trip) and then six days throughout the year. Are you really so crisp that you can't use a $10 pool session?

I'm pretty rusty when I'm out of the water for more than a week... can't imagine taking a winter off.

We don't take winters off, we do tropical locations. Most that I've been too only do 2, 3 at most dives a day and when you throw in family that doesn't dive, 10 is sometimes is not feasible. That's why it's only 25 a year. I just used that as a minimum number.

As an active diver (25 dives a year) would you join a club that wants you to do an OW pool certification every year?

I'd jump at it. Pool time is expensive and hard to come by in some locations.

What's the down side?

In any case, I get rusty over winter break when the schools are out and there's no class. I'm pretty sure I'd be an absolute disaster after a year.

A few more details, we're semi land locked in Ga the closest place to get in the water is 3 hrs away, and then that's seasonal. This club also wants you to go on 3 dive trips a year with them. I myself do an equipment/buoyancy/skills poll session before every dive trip. My feelings are if you are an active diver with verifiable log book or computer. doing OW pool every year is a little unnecessary. This includes the swim float portion also. I was just wondering if I was over thinking the situation.

TS&M the pool session would only cost $10

If they ask for three trips a year from members, then why can't members just use the first dive of each trip as a checkout dive? Many resorts want to see guests do a checkout dive in any event, so there's no reason a club couldn't use that as an opportunity to do a bit more. I wouldn't mind reviewing some skills on the first dive of each trip--indeed that's just what my dive buddy and I try to do--but I just don't see the point of the pool session if you're about to go on a trip, unless of course one has some particular issue he wants to square away before the trip. This requirement wouldn't make or break my decision to join the club, but it seems superfluous.

First you have to ask why you want to join a club. Then you can decide if the club rules make sense for you.

As a vacation diver i get between 21 and 45 dives a year spread across 1 or 2 vacations.
I see no need to join a club. Especially one that forces me to make 3 trips with them. So this club is a non starter in my world.

I do make sure my first dive of every trip is a "checkout" dive. A simple dive with no extras like the camera. Just a splash in the big pool. Often shallow. Often over an hour.

On the face of it it all comes across as a bit scuba gulag to me. However if it was run as a meet and greet session where new members could get into the water with existing members and practise a few skills and generally get to know one other then I wouldn't rule it out. The great thing about clubs is you'll always meet people and the bad thing about clubs is you'll always meet people.

Depends, if they were all done within a month and then 11 months without diving, then a refresher makes sense.
And there's nothing wrong with going to the pool, I've gone several times of my own free will.
I belonged to a club where anyone 6 months out of the water had to go snorkeling :)

Exactly my thoughts. If the 25 dives were spread out over the year I would say definately "no". If not, then a refresher would seem in order. I don't understand taking the full OW course yearly--what do you get, a whole pile of cards and an empty wallet? I've never heard of this, with the possible exception of someone who has been out of diving like 10+ years.

Back
Top Bottom